Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need new FF mask that won't leak
Need new FF mask that won't leak
I currently use ResMed AirTouch F20 Large. It's memory foam is very comfortable, but I get inconsistent results and leaks. One night my AHI <1, and other nights I have AHI 8.0+. I am uncertain where this mask is leaking when I'm asleep. I use a ergo neck pillow and ResMed Narval CC dental appliance as well as a chin strap since I mouth breath. The problem I think, is I have a wide mouth and the AirTouch lets air leak from corner of my mouth if I mouth breathe. So I need a wider FF mask at the bottom of mouth.

My DE had a poor selection of masks to choose from. I've tried these masks:

AirFit F20 - I used in the past, and I had to tighten too much to prevent leaks, and it made red marks on my face.
Quattro FX - This fit ok I think, but it is less convenient and doesnt have magnetic closures, and not a good headstrap.
Nasal Masks - Tried numerous, but they all leaked during the fit test, and the DE said they didnt recommend them.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need new FF mask that won't leak
Even with the tongue technique employed, I believe my mouth opens just enough at the corners to get saliva drooling out and under the edges of the mask. Then I get leaks. I have tried many, many FF, pillo, and nasal masks, tape, mouth guards, chin straps, cervical collars and always go back to the Amara View Large and a cervical collar. 

Re your other posts about a recent sleep study: be sure and get a copy of the sleep study. Some on this board recommend getting a copy of everything,  then graphs included.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm at the same point as you. I'm currently using the F20 with memory foam, but would like to find a better mask that won't leak.

The F20 is leaking a lot less now that I've cranked it very tightly against my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that the resmed full face masks are wider than the philips. i used to get leaks by the edges of my mouth until I started to use resmed. So I do not know any other masks that are wider.

Not much help, car54
Post Reply Post Reply
There are other solutions to mouth breathing. Read the Mouth Breathing section of the Mask Primer

I was a very bad mouth breather. And I have charts to prove it. At the time I was running with 18 to 19 cmw. I tried and failed chin straps.  My solution ultimately was the tounge technique but it took me months to master.  During my learning period I used the controversial mouth taping technique.
I currently consistently run 9 to 10 cmw on a VAuto vs my intellepap.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is currently a new Resmed FF, The air touch F30 i think its called.

Best

Jarhead
Hal
Not as lean, not as mean, but still a Marine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the airfit f30. I went from the airtouch f20 to the f30 and like it much better. The headgear on the f20 gave me neck pain. The f30 headgear is similar but has adjustable top strap. That brings the back of the headgear above my neck eliminating the neck pain I was getting with the f20 headgear. For me the airtouch was great for the first half of the month then started to leak around the nose into my eyes. Some nights were better than others. With the f30 I only get leaks when I get lazy and don’t clean the mask then the oil from my face allows the mask to slip and leak when the pressure ramps up. I had tried the dreamwear full face and liked it but the headgear gave me troubles.
Min EPAP 10
Max EPAP 13
Min PS 3
Max PS 10
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Might want to try the Simplus. I've found it to be a little wider at the base.
Post Reply Post Reply
I mainly use a Dreamwear nasal cushion but wanted a full facemask as backup. I could not get the Dreamwear FFM to seal well. 

I have, and would recommend the Resmed F30, (has a nasal cushion interface, so it doesn't sit on the bridge of the nose). It seems to seal well and is relatively comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2018, 09:56 AM)MyronH Wrote: I currently use ResMed AirTouch F20 Large. It's memory foam is very comfortable, but I get inconsistent results and leaks. One night my AHI <1, and other nights I have AHI 8.0+. I am uncertain where this mask is leaking when I'm asleep. I use a ergo neck pillow and ResMed Narval CC dental appliance as well as a chin strap since I mouth breath. The problem I think, is I have a wide mouth and the AirTouch lets air leak from corner of my mouth if I mouth breathe. So I need a wider FF mask at the bottom of mouth.

My DE had a poor selection of masks to choose from. I've tried these masks:

AirFit F20 - I used in the past, and I had to tighten too much to prevent leaks, and it made red marks on my face.
Quattro FX - This fit ok I think, but it is less convenient and doesn't have magnetic closures, and not a good headstrap.
Nasal Masks - Tried numerous, but they all leaked during the fit test, and the DE said they didn't recommend them.

Good luck on that one, as everyone is different it is very difficult to give advice on a FFM or Nasal Mask for that mater.
Nasal Pillows is another mater as they come with usually three sizes of pillows and then some have larger or smaller ones you can order.

As you have found out, it is not easy to get a perfect FFM or Nasal one without some leaking.
I have never found a FFM or NF that didn't leak yet.

I wish someone would set up a full mask fitting service.
We have a company here in the UK that will allow you to try if you visit the shop, but it is a long way away from me, for the UK it is a long way.
We put in lots of roundabouts and traffic lights and bends on the road, then fill the road with far to much traffic so it take forever to get anywhere. Big Grin

Have you considered a hybrid mask?  This is just another option, if it leaks above the mouth anywhere, this might be an option.
There are a few around these days, I would love to try one, but my clinic say it does not stock them as there is no demand!
They have never stocked them, so of course there is no demand!
I use Nasal Pillows, but I get air leaking through my lips, chin strap or not.

Good luck with mask hunting.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 337 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,260 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 412 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,476 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 207 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 799 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.