Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need support
RE: Need support
I'm trying to understand this....Your antidepressant seems to have made nose breathing more difficult so you're needing to breathe via your mouth?

I'd recommend checking in with the antidepressant prescriber in case this is a harbinger of other side effects. I also suggest consulting your PCP in case there's an issue with the nose and it just happened to start up at the same time as the medication switch.

Even apart from those 2 issues, you could make your nose happy with breathing like it used to, so your mouth can cut it out? I'll bet other posters on here have all kinds of ideas about pampering noses!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2017, 10:14 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I'm trying to understand this....Your antidepressant seems to have made nose breathing more difficult so you're needing to breathe via your mouth?

It's more likely that the meds are causing the jaw-closing muscles to relax more, so the jaw drops when in deep sleep. This causes the mouth-leak.

I picture the back of your tongue touching the roof of the mouth and forming a seal, like closing a valve. When that valve is closed and you're wearing a nasal mask you have air behind the valve that's at a higher pressure than the air that's in your mouth. When the valve opens there's a leak. But if instead you're wearing a full face mask the pressure is the same on both sides of that valve, so if the valve opens you don't get a leak.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2017, 10:30 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 10:14 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I'm trying to understand this....Your antidepressant seems to have made nose breathing more difficult so you're needing to breathe via your mouth?

It's more likely that the meds are causing the jaw-closing muscles to relax more, so the jaw drops when in deep sleep. This causes the mouth-leak.

I picture the back of your tongue touching the roof of the mouth and forming a seal, like closing a valve. When that valve is closed and you're wearing a nasal mask you have air behind the valve that's at a higher pressure than the air that's in your mouth. When the valve opens there's a leak. But if instead you're wearing a full face mask the pressure is the same on both sides of that valve, so if the valve opens you don't get a leak.

Great point. I didn't think of the relaxation thing. I won't withdraw my suggestion to mention it to the meds prescriber, however, in case the muscle relaxation thing is not a positive side effect.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2017, 11:15 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I won't withdraw my suggestion to mention it to the meds prescriber, however, in case the muscle relaxation thing is not a positive side effect.

I agree. Changing the meds because of this side effect is one solution. But if the meds are working, and there's a remedy for the side effect (which there is in this case -- the fullface mask) then that's a possibility that's perhaps worth exploring.

I'd probably be on some meds to help me relax, but they have side effects for me that are just not tolerable.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2017, 12:06 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 11:15 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I won't withdraw my suggestion to mention it to the meds prescriber, however, in case the muscle relaxation thing is not a positive side effect.

I agree. Changing the meds because of this side effect is one solution. But if the meds are working, and there's a remedy for the side effect (which there is in this case -- the fullface mask) then that's a possibility that's perhaps worth exploring.

I'd probably be on some meds to help me relax, but they have side effects for me that are just not tolerable.

Yep, but I can expound a bit. Jaw slacking might be benign, but the medication may have induced slacking (or something else) of another body part that is less obvious and might not be so benign. For instance, if it extended to, say, the bladder, the heart, the legs....

Example: some meds can give you Parkinsonism. That's secondary Parkinson's. Remove the med and you remove the "disease".
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster is right.  The medication is causing the jaw muscles to relax when in deep sleep.  The medication is working to combat depression/anxiety so I will not change it.  It took along time to get to this point of being content with an antidepressant.  Sometimes you just have to work with medication side effects.

I tried the f20 last nite.  It may have potential.  I actually slept. The full face mask is not as horrific as I imagined!  However Lots of leaks around the chin/ mouth area.  Still trying to figure it out..  I did the mask fit and everything was ok.  I had my cervical collar on and when i got the leaks the mask was hard to tighten with the collar on.  Tonight I will try a chin strap.

I got the medium size cushion (for her) which seems right.  I must have a long face. Does anyone know if the medium cushion is the same for "her" and regular size?
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about the different "for her" sizes, but it wouldn't hurt to try a larger size. You should not need the chin strap at all, in my opinion. I think that you just have to adjust the straps. Sometimes new masks are like that. They get stretched out a bit when you first use them.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,441 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 661 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 457 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Lowenstein prima 25s support ? cbow48 6 715 02-14-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Macka
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 310 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Pressure Support David Clark 23 1,762 01-08-2024, 04:01 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Hank68 Treatment Thread - Seeking Help and Support Please! Hank68 20 1,151 01-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Hank68

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.