Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need to find the best min max pressure
Need to find the best min max pressure
             I have been using cpap for about 10 years. The first 5 was with a Resmed S9, and and changed to the Resmed AS10 for its flexibility. My initial setting on the AS10 was 12 min-16 max. My AHI readings have usually been below 1.0. For the last few months I have been having problems with mask leakage and I also have lost some weight. As a result I have been reducing my pressure on a weekly basis butI still have AHI readings below 1.0 . I am attaching screenshots of a typical night at 12-16 and one at 6-10. Sorry. I posted one screen twice. So my questions is why shouldn't I be using the lowest pressure settings available if I can still keep my AHI below 1.0?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need to find the best min max pressure
Your results are very good on both fixed and automatic PAP pressure. Your only events are a few hypopnea, and on Autoset pressure at 12-16, your pressure fluctuated on flow limitations. If your objective is to minimize pressure, let's try a minimum pressure of 7.0 Maximum 12.0 and EPR at 3. Your current EPR setting is 2, and the additional EPR should help with hypopnea and flow limitations. I suspect we can reduce maximum pressure a bit from 12.0, but would like to see this profile first.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will try that tonight. How does ramp time affect anything? I have been using auto ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer not to use ramp at all. Your starting pressure with these settings is only 7/4 pressure which should be no problem. Avoiding ramp helps establish a better mask fit and avoids any issues with sleep transition. Ramp is a comfort issue, and if you feel you must use it, then it's your choice, and Auto with the highest pressure you tolerate is okay.

Regarding your charts, your tidal volume and minute vent are extremely small for a male adult. Are you aware of any issues that result in such shallow respiration or capacity?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok. I will turn ramp off. I don’t know the answer to your question. Can this be an issue?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's nothing to worry about. Tidal volume is the amount of air your respire in milliliters per breath, and minute vent is the air respired in liters per minute. You have the respiratory volume of a smaller woman, at least on CPAP, but if it isn't bothering you enough to rais a question with the doctor, then it is probably not important. A simple pulmonary function test at your next physical would rule out any issues.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
    Here is last night's results with pressure at 7-12, ramp off and epr at 3.

I did notice that some air was being forced out of my mouth at times. Why is that?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're using a full face mask, mouth leaks or breathing should not affect proper therapy, but it can affect comfort by drying your mouth out somewhat.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With your flow limits, any auto-pressure will automatically cause pressure to reach the upper limit and stay there. If the higher pressure is causing leaks or discomfort with the Resmed, then you can try titrating pressure downwards. It may let a few more events in, but comfort counts. It is nice to see hypopnea is pretty much gone. The only OA event happened where your pressure dropped back to about 8/5, so you have some room to work with in lowering pressure. I think a pressure range of 8-10 with EPR 3 looks pretty good for lowering pressure and maintaining efficacy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I will try that. I have a question about epr. 
What determines whether epr should be on or off? 
If on, what determines the setting number?
Should the epr setting have any correlation to the min pressure setting?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 205 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,223 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 332 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 335 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 461 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,648 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.