Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need to make decision Pro/Elite vs Auto CPAP
Need to make decision Pro/Elite vs Auto CPAP
I recently had a sleep study, and I received a call from a DME about 1 week later saying that they had a prescription for a Dreamstation CPAP (yes, the brick).  I was not pleased.  I am so confused about what to select.  I am really down to 4 models: Dreamstation CPAP Pro, Dreamstation Auto CPAP, ResMed AirSense 10 Elite or ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.

Should I really insist upon a Auto CPAP machine over the CPAP (elite or pro)?  My prescription is for fixed pressure.  Is there any different in data I can get out of the machine with an Auto CPAP?  I am slightly afraid to tell my doctor I want the Auto CPAP if I am just going to use the fixed pressure.

It looks like most people use the ResMed over the Dreamstation.  Is it better?  I really don't have any opinion because I am not familiar with either device.  Any differences in data between the two brands?

I can just see the look on my doctors face if I asked for the "For Hers" model.  Is the RERA data worth it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need to make decision Pro/Elite vs Auto CPAP
Either the Dreamstation Auto or ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet are good machines with full data. Some swear by the ResMed and others like the Dreamstations. I don't think you can go wrong if you can get either one. Just don't accept a brick or fixed pressure. Conditions change through the night and the Auto can adjust for it. With a fixed pressure your out of luck. Don't worry about the Doctor. It's your health. Fight for it!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Without question if you have a choice an Auto CPAP machine, because it has more flexibility.

Not questioning your "fixed" pressure Rx, but auto gives you more flexibility.

(best choice) indicates a full data capable machine that has Sleepyhead software capability and an Auto Mode.  These are in general the best available machines

Always specify the exact machine you wish, This removes all ambiguities and prevents substitutions.
DAW (Dispense as Written) prevents substitutions.
General Information on DreamStation Models from Philips Respironics
Current acceptable in Production Machines (ResMed and Philips Respironics, the 2 most popular manufactures)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37205) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom, bricks look the same) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP) (best choice)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro (DSX400x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP)

Current Machines to Avoid

• Any ResMed AirStart (Lack of full data capability)

• ResMed AirStart™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (all models, 37201) (Lack of full data capability)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ (37015, 37203) (Lack of full data capability)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP (DSX200x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Lack of full data capability)
Note: These are current machines, there are older models that have full data capability that are available via secondary markets if budget is an issue. Please inquire on the forum and your questions will be answered.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyBoyDC,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

First, let me say if your afraid to talk to your doctor....you need to find a different doc.
And yes, you need to insist on an Auto Cpap.

Call your doctor and request a new prescription, stating Auto Cpap.  
A DME won't give you an Auto Cpap without the script stating it.

With an Auto Cpap you can set it to Auto mode or Straight Cpap Mode.  You can't do that with a straight pressure machine.

And please be aware that insurance pays the same to the DME whether it be a Cpap or Auto Cpap.  

One thing you have to think about is that you will be using this machine for 5+ years.  
You never know what your future needs will be, so don't settle for a straight pressure machine and certainly not a "brick".

Request either a DreamStation Auto Cpap or a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.  They are both very good machines and will serve you well.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose with the win! The easiest way to beat the DME is to clarify the prescription.

You will own this machine and use it every night for the next 5 years. Your needs for pressure will not just change over that long term due to health, weight, age and other factors, but will change hour by hour due to sleep stage, position, diet, health and more. While a titration study gives a good guideline on your general needs, it remains a snapshot. An Auto with settings built around that snapshot will usually outperform fixed pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board, SleepyBoyDC. I agree with others that have posted their comments. Choose an Auto CPAP for flexibility to change to your current and future needs. And it's data capable to view your statistics when used with Sleepyhead or another PC application allows you to monitor your treatment progress.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
An auto machine has both a fixed option as well as an auto option. Call doctor's office and ask them to update the prescription to reflect an automachine and yes, I would ask for the For Her model. You have the choice then of 3 different algorithms which gives you the widest options for your care (I have that model and find the For Her algorithm works best for me).

Now I'm very pro-Resmed but the Dreamstation Auto is certainly a good machine. I had a one week trial with a 560 series (precursor to Dreamstation) and the auto just didn't work for me. The Resmed algorithm was much better. But many do just fine with Respironics. Respironics is just a tad better choice if you want to go camping off the grid.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyBoyDC,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
An autoPAP is a better choice as others have said here. I encourage you to re-read the posts in this thread to have things set in your mind when you talk to your doc.
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP journey.
I know this can be overwhelming, but you want to take every chance to get the best machine for your needs.

You will have it for 5 years or better, so don’t be shy about telling the doc what you want.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyBoyDC

Just wanted to echo what folks have said here and hopefully be encouraging. Remember, you're not a "brick," you're not "fixed," and your condition isn't static. It will change over time and it does change throughout the night. Any docs worth their degree will acknowledge that. You're not asking for something you don't deserve or a luxury. And everything in your category has the same dme number so it doesn't matter to anyone but the DME for profit. 

If you're not a "fighter" and you're a bit afraid of talking to the doc, you might consider writing a short bullet, prioritized list of the high points in this thread, make two copies, and bring them with you. 

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyBoyDC, 

The only thing I would add to all the great advice above is ... you do get RERA with the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.  I believe this was not true of the regular model before the "for her" was introduced.  But mine is vintage April 2015 and it captures RERA data.  We also have the "for her" model in the house, and the only functional difference I know of is that "for her" has a second auto mode "for her" which applies a slightly different algorithm for auto adjust that is intended to be better suited "for her".  It also has the normal mode.  So the "for her" model is still the more capable machine even though both models do capture RERA data.

BTW, I have tried the "for her" mode and the data showed a different pattern of pressure changes from the regular A10. I could definitely see it in the sleepyhead data charts, but it didn't make a noticeable difference in quality of sleep to me.  YMMV. 

Follow the advice in this thread and no matter which of the recommendations you choose, you will be way ahead on your way to better sleep. 

Saldus Miegas

p.s.  okay two things ... if you need another reason for auto versus fixed, in my experience when I switched from FFM to nasal pillows, there was a marked reduction in therapeutic air pressure and I wouldn't have known to make that adjustment if I didn't have the auto machine to show it to me.  It told me that the pillows required 5 points lower air pressure than the FFM.  That's beyond setting the mask type switch from FFM to Pillows.  This lower air pressure is much more quiet and comfortable. Without an auto machine I might not have found out about it.  That lower pressure did result in an improved quality of sleep.  So if you need ammo, tell the doc that the auto machine will give you a better opportunity for optimal restful sleep.  IMO, well worth the trouble to ask your doc for an auto mcahine. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 605 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 102 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 216 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 356 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.