Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Never ending Aerophagia, please help!
Never ending Aerophagia, please help!
Hi! My husband has sleep apnea and an auto c-pap. About twice a week he wakes up so bloated he can't get out of bed for at least a half hour, until after it moves through his system and he has lots and lots of gas. 

I have read a lot about it. Here are the suggestions that didn't work-

1. This is common with new machines and will pass. ---he has had the machine and same settings for over a year, and had the same problems with the old machine he had for 7 years.

2. Sleep on your back with head tilted back.  ---he can't sleep on his back or he will snore (loudly) for some reason. He has a cpap pillow so side sleeping works.

3.Lower the max air pressure ---Looking at data, the machine frequently needs the max pressure often. When we had it turned lower he had many more instances of apneas.

The doctors have not been any use on this subject. Or really at all, besides being a gateway to getting the equipment he needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Never ending Aerophagia, please help!
Post charts from days where this occurs.  Pay attention to organization.  Your settings should show up on the lower of the screenprint.
The data will always help us to see what is going on, otherwise we can just say in general what to do.

Add a space as follows to the URL until you have "member" status.  "htt p://IMGUR.com/xxxx.png"

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sarahfv,
Does you husband mouth breath?  He could try to control that by using a chin strap, or a soft cervical  collar which helps keep the mouth from dropping open.  

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, under “related threads” there are other folks experiences that you could read.

As bonjour stated, we would be better able to advise when we can see some data.  Sometimes it’s just a matter of lowering pressure to see what works at the lowest possible pressure and still be treated for Apnea events, but we can’t really say without seeing what is going on.

If you could update his profile with machine name, mask and current pressure settings, that would be helpful.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2017, 10:38 AM)sarahfv Wrote: 3.Lower the max air pressure ---Looking at data, the machine frequently needs the max pressure often. When we had it turned lower he had many more instances of apneas.

For me the solution to this problem is bi-level therapy. This is commonly called BiPAP because one of the major CPAP manufacturers, Philips Respironics, calls their bi-level machines BiPAP instead of CPAP. Another popular manufacturer is ResMed, and theirs is called VPAP.

The machine you see listed in my profile is such a machine, with the added ability to auto-adjust pressure.

The strategy is to keep the pressure low. Bi-level machines lower the pressure on exhale, auto-adjusting machines keep the pressure low at times when higher pressures are not needed. Having both capabilities is the solution that worked for me.

A doctor put me on bi-level therapy at fixed pressure and this helped a bit. Then I bought an auto-adjusting bi-level machine on craigslist. Later I told my doctor how much better it was working for me, asked her to write a prescription for a new one, and she did. I used to have pain from gas every day. I now have a little extra flatulence on some days but never any pain; as opposed to the pain I used to have every day along with flatulence and lots of burping.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys.

Yes he mouth breathes often but has a full face masks.

Here's some data from last night. We were up at 4 with a sick baby, so we know the aerophagia happened between 4:30-7am.

[attachment=3922][attachment=3923]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your settings.
Min 9, Max 15, EPR 0 (off), No Ramp.
Device Resmed, either an S9 or an Airsense 10 Autoset.

Were my guesses correct?

The Apnea looks mostly positional. Try a loose fitting cervical collar to help with this.

For the Aerophagia I would suggest trying EPR,  That would leave the max pressure the same, so IPAP would be Max 15, but EPAP (exhale pressure) would be reduced by the amount of EPR (1, 2 or 3).

Chart organization   http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
Organize your SleepyHead Charts
When looking for help an need to show your charts, many of those that provide support are looking for specific graphs in the charts you provide. Many of the other graphss are not all that useful.
How to order the charts
When you start SleepyHead and select Daily view, you will see a page with information on the left, and charts on the right.
Each chart has a name displayed on it vertically on the left side of the chart.
You can move a chart up or down in the order by pointing your mouse pointer in the label part of the chart, right clicking and holding while moving the mount up or down.

[Image: shorgmove.png]

Suggested Support Order for your charts

• Event Flags

• Flow Rate

• Pressure

• Leak Rate

• Snore

• Flow Limit
Below these charts, you can organize the remainder any way you want. Most of the lower graphs won't show up in the screen captures.
Left Side Calendar Off
On the left side, we want to see the calendar collapsed as monthly display is not of interest and it will end up hiding other info that will be wanted.
If you are using the F12 or screen shot function, it will automatically minimize the calendar for your and return it back to what it was set to when done.

[Image: shordcalon.png] [Image: shordcaloff.png]

You should have the slide for the left side up so that you see the big AHI in orange at the top.
Adjusting height of graphs
You can also adjust the height of the graphs by pointing your mouse at the border of a graph and then moving the mouse up or down.

[Image: shcharheight.png]

Example Screen
When you are done, your screen would look something like:

[Image: shchartordex.png]

Now you can take a screenshot
You can now easily take a screen shot of SleepyHead so you can post it for getting support... Go Here to Learn how to Take A Screen Shot
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, Bonjour, with VS and VS2 flags, it must be some sort of Respironics machine. Also the spiky pressure pulses are Respironics.

I'm not sure that changes your advice any, but of course no EPR, and I'm not sure how AFlex will work to reduce aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
And FL is showing as an event, I'm bad this is a PR machine.

My guesses were wrong. At least partially. Flex would lower exhale pressure, but differently than EPR and Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
And I missed the FL as flag! My bad! Is it bedtime yet?

Those three event flags are the markers of a Respironics machine on a SleepyHead chart, as far as I can tell.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2017, 05:28 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I'm not sure that changes your advice any, but of course no EPR, and I'm not sure how AFlex will work to reduce aerophagia.

It should be turned on to the maximum possible setting to help fight the aerophagia. If that doesn't work then I would recommend a BiPAP.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Never ending tiredness Marcus007 3 149 04-21-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Marcus007
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 17 837 04-19-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aerophagia Help - I've tried everything soozgrrl 2 101 04-15-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: soozgrrl
Gross Aerophagia Pressure Help! ToddAO 2 154 04-07-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 884 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,761 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 465 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.