Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP machine needed
New CPAP machine needed
My unit stopped logging hours at 24,000 several years ago.  Time for a new unit, yathink?

I would dearly love to have an "autopap" or whatever they are called, one that will adjust the pressure automatically.

I also require a large heated humidifier reservoir, as I live in AZ where it is bone dry most of the year.

Will somebody please point me to the right place to investigate, or make recommendations?

tanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP machine needed
First, you are right - you need an APAP that adjusts the pressure. But you need to figure out the minimum and maximum pressures that are right for you. If your current machine has an SD card and you can look at the data with OSCAR, this would be a good first step in seeing what you need.

Second, the two main manufacturers worldwide are Respironics (Philips Respironics, headquarters in the Netherlands) and Resmed (headquarters USA). Respironics has the lion's share of the market worldwise, including the US, but there are several other manufacturers to choose from worldwide. But see below for other considerations.

Third, each manufacturer provides a myriad of different models, and the labeling is confusing as hell. You need to research Apnea Board and lots of other places on the net to figure out which make/model you need.

Fourth, On Apnea Board the common belief is that Resmed is better than Respironics, but there are many dissentng opinions. Choose which machine/model is best for you and don't let such attitudes color your decision.

Fifth, Respironics is currently under a massive recall because they used a nasty sound-reducing foam in their machines (cancer, among other issues). If you do decide on a Respironics machine, be sure that it is not on the recall list.

Sixth, you want to be sure that your new machine is compatible with OSCAR (see link at the top of every page here). Machines from less common manufacturers may not be compatible. And if you haven't downloaded and installed OSCAR, do so now, and start to use it to view the data from your current machine.

That's it for now. Get to work on the above suggestions and post back with your progress and further questions. There are a lot of issues involved in your query, and it's going to take a while for you to get it all together.
Post Reply Post Reply
To add to JJJ's helpful post, here is a link to guide you in choosing.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...d_machines
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
tanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll do a bit better. You did well on a S9 escape which doesn't really have any useful data. Get the Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset and you will get similar therapy with 0-3 exhale pressure relief and full data. The Autosets are the bees knees and a lot nicer to use compared to your old S9 Escape. Where to go, depends on whether your insurance is kicking in. A new Airsense 10 Autoset is currently selling for $780 at Supplier #1 or #29, and if you had been here a week ago the Black Friday price was $569. Deals are available on Crrigslist and Facebook Marketplace for used machines, but you have to be sure to physically pick up the machine or use a safe payment method.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I cant even to express how badly i wish my all together had been together a week-ish ago….and savor that sweet sweet $200-ish discount

Grrr….
Post Reply Post Reply
My original machine was a Respironics Dream Station. It was pretty good. Due to the recall, I bought a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her machine. For me, it is SOOOO much better. I would never use a Respironics machine again.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,025 9 hours ago
Last Post: Poolboy
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 138 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 173 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 216 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 353 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 174 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 146 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.