Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user with OSCAR data
New CPAP user with OSCAR data
Hi Gals and Guys.  I am a new CPAP user and new to this forum.  I came across it when I was trying to get up to speed with my sleep apnea.  I want to apologize up front for possibly not having enough information in my first post, but I wanted to keep it short.

I have been using my CPAP for 26 nights.  I thought that everything was going well because I have been dreaming A LOT, and I have rarely dreamt in many years.  However, I am waking up more tired than before the CPAP.  I don't feel good, and my mood is actually worse than it had been.   Anyway, I came across the incredible software OSCAR yesterday.  I have tried reading on the forum for a few hours tonight and I was hoping to get an opinion on how my data looks.  I can see that I am snoring a lot.

I hope that I have attached the correct screenshots.  I have tried to get a copy of my sleep study results, but haven't gotten that yet.  

Thank you for taking the time to look at my thread.  I am very impressed how much help the members give new users, so Thank you very much.  My wife will thank you as well.

[attachment=21731]
[attachment=21732]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user with OSCAR data
G'day MX Guy. Welcome to Apnea Board.

When posting your charts, make sure to turn off the calendar and pie chart, as they block other important information. You should also turn off the VS2 flag, as that just adds clutter. See the "organise" link in my signature.

OK, looking at the charts I see that the AHI is well within accepted limits, but there is room for improvement. You're still recording some snoring, and there is a leak problem.

Considering the leaks first: On Monday Night you had prolonged periods of large leaks. When the leak rate goes over a red line (usually defined as 24 L/min) the machine has difficulty maintaining pressure and also cannot easily diagnose apneas. You had over 2 hours in this condition. On the other nights you didn't have excessive leaks but you did have persistent small leaks (the lower line on the leak graph). The machine can easily cope with these, but they can disturb your sleep by blowing air into your eyes or making face farts. We need to get a handle on the leaks - what's causing them and how to fix it. I suggest you read the mask primer in our wiki for some ideas.

Snoring: There is persistent low to medium-level snoring almost all the the time. This indicates to me that you need to increase you minimum pressure - try around 10. At the same time, raise you maximum to around 15.

AHI: Is generally pretty good. Increasing the pressure to control snoring will also likely bring your AHI down a few points. Just keep an eye on the central apneas, to make sure the extra pressure doesn't make them go up too much.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the advice from DB. See the link below to the mask primer. It will provide guidance for reducing your leaks.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I will make those changes when posting again. I will also read the mask primer. 

I take my mask off briefly several times a night to scratch my nose.

I will research how to change my pressures. 

Thank you again. Seriously, thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I will research how to change my pressures.

You need a copy of the clinician manual for your machine. You can get it from this link (be sure to read it carefully and follow the instructions): https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you again, and thank you for the link.  I adjusted the pressures last night, and  I felt like I slept a lot better when I woke up.  I also read the mask primer, however I am going to read it again.  I felt like I had the mask adjusted well, but must have bumped it in the middle of the night.  I had been waking up 5-10 times a night, last night I only woke up 2 times.

Here is the data from last night.

After reading on here, I am wondering if I should see about switching out my machine for a ResMed AirSense.  I have read that it does a better job combating snoring.  

Any advice would be appreciated.  I am going to donate to the board.  This program and the help give others is a gift.  Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine seems to be doing its job OK, but it may be that you need a different mask.  Here are some tips on fitting the Vitera:

You might like to try a nasal pillows mask (eg Resmed P10), a different type of full face mask (eg Resmed AirTouch F20) or a nasal mask. There are a lot of options, and not every mask will fit every face.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!

I have another mask on order, and I will adjust mine differently tonight.  I have found that if I don't tighten it pretty tight, I move it while sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
DeepBreathing,

Thank you for your guidance.  I was able to get a new mask and used it Monday night and Tuesday night.  They recommended the ResMed F30, so that is what I am using now.  I am normally a mouth breather at night, but with that mask I seem to breathe through my nose a lot more and I think I am sleeping better.  

Can you look at last nights data and see if you see anything that warrants attention.  According to this, I am still snoring, but it is better.  

I am not wealthy, but I have the money to buy another machine if it would help. Like you said, it looks like my machine is doing OK, but would the AirSense do even better?  I can buy a low hour machine from my supplier for $350

If you have time, I have a few more things that have me thinking.

With the F&P Mask, it seemed as though I was dreaming a lot more (means deeper stage 3&4 sleep?), but according to the data I quit breathing more than with the F30.  I am still waking up tired, and I feel out of it for the first hour of the day.  I just wonder if it is going to take time for my body to adjust to actually getting sleep vs waking up feeling stressed and full of cortisol and adrenaline.  I have read that it can take weeks, months and even longer to start feeling better, but should I wake up feeling rested?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
An Airsense may do better than your Dreamstation - a lot of members find they are more comfortable and efficacious. Are you on good enough terms with your supplier to borrow or rent that machine for a week or so?

Otherwise I wouldn't do anything else for the moment. There are a few anomalies in your statistics, but Oscar (and SleepyHead before it) does misreport some of the parameters on Respironics machines. A new release of Oscar is imminent, and it has a completely re-written Respironics module. I'd really like to see your numbers with the new Oscar.

And yes, for a lot of us it does take a while to adjust and feel the full benefit of the therapy. Hang in there - it gets better from here on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,364 11 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 386 04-16-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 181 04-15-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
  New Bilevel user help with settings (oscar attached) opo218 6 131 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: opo218
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 106 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 152 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Help - OSCAR Data Flspearfisher 2 384 04-11-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Flspearfisher

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.