Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New DS2 from recall, what about old DS?
New DS2 from recall, what about old DS?
Just received a new DS2 under the recall to replace my 3 year old DS.

I have not used my new DS2 yet but I am wondering, what if I just don't/'forget" to send back the recalled DS?

I own it out right. I do not use a DME. I have no prior commercial relationship directly with PR.

So what happens? What if I claim I am retaining as "evidence" if they call asking for it.

Also isn't a 3 yr interval the recommended machine replacement which insurance will pay for a new machine?

Thanks,
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New DS2 from recall, what about old DS?
I plan to retain mine as evidence. I think I recall reading in one of the class action filings that they can't demand the DS1s back, they simply need to account for their location.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. 

For now, I plan to just box up the old DS along with the supplies that won't migrate and hold on to it. 

I have seen in the paperwork all the instructions on how to return but I have not seen any warnings (or "threats") about non-returned machines.

Since I never had any known issues (no particles, no smells, no head aches, no breathing issues, etc) and since my untreated OSA was so severe (untreated AHI of ~87), my PCP and I decided the risk using the DS until I got the replacement was less than just halting any treatment. So I would not have an issue keeping the old DS as an "emergency" back up for couple of years until I get a new machine under insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
No one has ever said anything about returning the original DS1. I received a new DS1 last week from Phillips. No where does it say to return the recalled one.
Post Reply Post Reply
@MoveUp.....

My replacement DS2 came with instructions and a prepaid FEDEX shipping label to return the DS1. I wonder if Philips is no longer taking back the old units(?)
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I just got the FedEx delivery today, 06/18/2022.  It's a DS1  DSX500S11F REP DreamStation Auto CPAP, DOM.
I assume it's a refurbish/rebuilt unit.  Also, it's just the main unit.  The instructions explain how to transfer everything.  (Humidifier, Modem, SD card, etc.)  All settings were transfered.
The only "issue" I had was getting Dreammapper to connect.  It updated the serial # and everything, but the Bluetooth had to be repaired with my phone.
It came with return shipping instructions and a prepaid label with drop off/free pick up options.
I'll probably hang on to the old unit for a bit, just in case the new one catches fire or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting! That’s the first report we’ve seen of someone getting a repaired DS1 that wasn’t a bilevel, ventilator, or ASV.

I wonder if the FDA is turning the screws on Philips to accelerate replacement while chip supplies are constraining new machines…
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI I've seen quite a few DS1s replaced with DS1s on Reddit.

Edit
Autocorrect changed DS1 to DS2.
Post Reply Post Reply
DoTar, I hope you will install Oscar and report if everything works as expected with this refurbished machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2022, 07:02 AM)Gideon Wrote: FYI I've seen quite a few DS1s replaced with DS1s on Reddit.

400 and 500 models? I’d only seen 600 and up, which the DS2 can’t replace.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,992 402,539 08-09-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Inspire device recall Narcil 7 454 07-31-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Compensation or recall AfibApnea 3 286 07-21-2024, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 186 32,939 07-01-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 140 24,251 06-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [Equipment] Mask recall? rltarbu 8 766 01-28-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad Dreamstation Recall Replacement issues jimbob123 4 669 01-18-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.