Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Device no data? not sure about options
RE: New Device no data? not sure about options
I never asked why I had been given a BiPAP before.  I know that I was only diagnosed with Obstructive apnea and not central.

The device that they gave me is the ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP.  

I have sent a request to my doctor to discuss why I was prescribed a CPAP vs a BiPAP and why the pressure is only 16 and not 22 on the CPAP.

I need to get one of these machines:

Resmed Airsense 10 and Aircurve 10

• Airsense 10 Elite

• Airsense 10 Autoset

• Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her

• Aircurve 10 S (Lumis 100 VPAP S)

• Aircurve 10 ST (Lumis 150 VPAP ST)

• Aircurve 10 ST-A (Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A)

• Aircurve 10 VAuto

• Aircurve 10 ASV (PaceWave CS)

Do any of these come with CPAP support.  I don't know what to expect from the doctor when I finally hear from him so may end up staying with a CPAP.  As long as I get a reason for the change I'll be happy with the change.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll want to get an AirSense 10 AutoSet as a minimum (unless your doc does tell you that you need a BiPAP machine) as this will give you data you can load into Oscar to keep track of your trreatment.

Whilst it is an autoset machine, it can be configured for CPAP equivalent operation if needed simply by setting minimum and maximum pressures to the same value.
Post Reply Post Reply
All of the above machines are fully data capable.
All can be set to act as a CPAP (not sure of the ASV)
We prefer, for OSA,
VAuto
AutoSet for Her / AutoSet
The above are more flexible because of the auto features
then
Elite

All the others target different conditions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2020, 02:04 PM)coraxwolf Wrote: I have sent a request to my doctor to discuss why I was prescribed a CPAP vs a BiPAP and why the pressure is only 16 and not 22 on the CPAP.

Do any of these come with CPAP support.  I don't know what to expect from the doctor when I finally hear from him so may end up staying with a CPAP.  As long as I get a reason for the change I'll be happy with the change.

Were you using 22 cmw with your BiLevel?  A CPAP machine maxes out at 20 vs 25 for a bilevel.  Titration guides suggest a BiLevel when titrated pressure is over 15 cmw.

In ANY case you do not want this machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Call your doctor and get a copy of the prescription. It all starts with your doctor since no DME can provide a machine without a prescription.

Your prescription should state a Bi-Level machine with settings. If it does not I would lean on your doctor as in what in the... he is doing since he knows you have been on a Bi-Level for years.

If it does state a Bi-Level machine with settings, then the DME did not follow the doctor's specific recommendation. Especially since a Airsense 10 CPAP does not have an EPAP, IPAP Pressure Support settings in the menu.

Your doctor needs to inform the DME to provide a Resmed Aircurve 10 (look up the model number from your old machine and google it) with the Bi-Level settings.

I have never purchased any CPAP/APAP/BiPAP machine from a DME without first getting a copy of the prescription.

Either the doctor or the DME made a mistake, intentional or otherwise; you just have to find out who and have them fix it.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
coraxwolf Wrote:Called the DME (APNIX) today and the lady told me that my device was recording data and I wasn't able to view it only they could.

The Airsense 10 CPAP produces two types of data only - hours used, and AHI. It transmits via the cellular network to Resmed's database, from where the doctor and DME can view the hours used so they can claim payment from the insurance. They may or may not look at the AHI.

You need (we all need) a machine that provides proper detailed data over a range of parameters, so we can fine tune the settings to optimise the therapy. If you just have hours and AHI, you are just guessing.

Now - you still haven't told us the model of your dead bilevel machine. We need to know that so we can provide you some more targeted advice. Do you know why you were on a bilevel? There must have been a reason. Do you have copies of your sleep study report? If so, post it here so we can see the baseline data. The full report including charts & tables as well as the written summary. Remove any personal ID before posting.

coraxwolf Wrote:When i started explaining the model of the machine that I had and the model the I use to have she informed me that the ResMed didn't make an AirCurve for CPAP and they only made the model that I have now.

Resmed make a whole range of machines but only one is called "the CPAP". This might be what's confusing her. You need to get hold of that prescription and find out exactly what the doctor has prescribed - if she's written "CPAP" then the DME is within its rights. You need to ensure the doctor has prescribed the exact make and model you need.

But to help us to help you, we do really need to know the model of your old machine, and why you were on that particular machine. Also, please let us see the sleep study report and the prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am going to have to wait until I can get an appointment with the doctor.  He (the clinic) processed the referral with the insurance and then everything was sent directly back to him (the clinic) and the prescription was sent directly to the DME who is telling me they can't show it to me and told me to get it from my doctor.  

for the machine as far as I can tell from the manual and the machine it is this one https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea...0-bilevel/

the model/catalog number is 37046 and the device number is 680.  Don't know if that helps any.

Waiting for a call back from the Clinic about setting up an appointment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Model 37046 is a Resmed Aircurve 10S.

It would be good to check out the settings on your old machine, so you can demonstrate the new machine cannot be set up as the old one that you were compliant using.

There is one caveat, depending on your settings, if your old 10S was set up with an EPAP/IPAP difference of only 3, they may come back and tell you there is no difference in the therapy.

The second part of this is to figure out how much out-of-pocket this is going to cost you. You may decide to find a BiLevel machine online and then tell DME to come and pick up the CPAP brick.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Google search brings up a ResMed AirCurve Bilevel 10 S associated with the model 37046. They are trying to give you the cheapest machine possible. Yet with no proof of the prior script on your side, you've got a fight. The doc that scripted that Bilevel S must have had a reason.

You will have to be as proactive as possible. Waiting for an appointment is not ideal, unless no other options are available. I'm not suggesting being unruly, but you need to sternly refuse this lower level device if it won't support you like the previous machine. Start fighting for yourself because nobody within that doc and DME system will.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience was similar. First DME was very good, was bought by a not very good DME and things went downhill from there. Please go after copies of the Rx and of any sleep studies that you had done. You are entitled to these and the place to go is the doctor(s) that prescribed the sleep studies and the machines. This information should be permanently kept in your file.
In order to move from a brick to a data capable machine I got a Rx from my sleep* doctor and bought a Phillips Resperonics Dreamstation on line and out of pocket. I think you should follow up with those who have responded to your post, dig out and provide the details being requested as soon as practical.
Best wishes, Stan

*For several years I was working through my PCP who basically prescribed the in-clinic sleep study and then prescribed a machine but provided no follow up. That was 20 years ago and, I knew nothing about any of it and nobody offered any help. Then a few years ago when I discovered this forum I started learning how much I didn't know. Also, I found a very helpful sleep doctor who has been a tremendous help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,031 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,182 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 229 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 1,003 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 387 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 429 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,953 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.