Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Dreamstation User Help With Setup/And Nasal Pillows
New Dreamstation User Help With Setup/And Nasal Pillows
Good evening, i am 43 and was prescribed a cpap machine because my study found my apnea was medium.  Whatever that is. I was going to get my machine setup and purchased through the insurance... but i bought it for $400 less online. So i went that way.   I bought the mask on amazon and the hose also . heated hose that is. 

I just got it this afternoon, i've been messing with all the settings, and i don't know where to start, i may end up taking it into the clinic and having them set it up.  My issue is that when i put on the headgear... and the nose pillows are in.. I can breathe fine and it's ok, but i have such a sensational urge to exhale that i get anxiety i think and end up trying to exhale through my mouth. The mask is on medium, i am going to try the small and large and see how they affect me in a few mins after this post.  This is without the humidifier on, if the humidifier is on, will it be easier? Additionally, i kept trying to make it go below 4. because it feels like 4 pressure is too much! I was really hoping the machine would allow me to exhale easily, but it doesn't seem like it is. I changed the cflex to 1... maybe i changed it the wrong direction, will try it on 3 i guess. 

Anyone have any recommendations on how to get used to it? Or alleviate the panic setting in ,if i am laying down? I fall asleep within 5 mins of laying down typically, so i am a quick sleeper. I guess i just don't sleep well.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Dreamstation User Help With Setup/And Nasal Pillows
Hi willwillx,
Order the Clinician’s Manual for your machine here.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Go to Section one, you will find quick setup instructions for the DreamStation.

For starters, set the mode to Auto, with a pressure range of 6 minimum and 15 maximum.
I would use the AFlex setting at 2. This can be adjusted after you use the machine a few days.

If you are using a nasal pillow mask, try using a medium or large size pillow.  The mask shouldn’t feel tight, and the pillow should not be inserted into your nostrils, but rest outside them.  

Try using your machine with mask on and sitting up, watch TV or read for a couple hours.  This is the best way to adapt to the feel of pressure.  

Be sure your machine has an SD card inserted.  When you have time, download the free #SleepyHead software.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Once you have gotten used to the feel of the machine and mask and can sleep with it, then you can post a screenshot of your data here, and we can further help with settings.

Use the links in my signature line below to help you organize your charts and then use the attachment feature to post your data here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah illl give it more of a shot tomorrow maybe, i tried and tried tonight all the different sizes and different pressures, and i just can't get over it :/  Hopefully i'm not one of those who never can get over it and quit. I'm going to buy another mask or two to try as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
For setup instructions see this link https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions
You are using nasal pillows which should seal around the bottom of your nose, not insert into the nostrils. A common error is to use too small of a nasal pillow size.
The feeling of not being able to exhale usually goes away quickly. It is made worse when air leaks from your mouth. To use a nasal pillows mask you must inhale and exhale nasally. Read the Mask Primer link in my signature.
Mind over matter, CPAP therapy solves an important health problem and many of us become very comfortable with it. We're here to help you make that adjustment. One way we can help is if you post the results of your sleep study with personal information redacted. Also, be sure to download and install #Sleepyhead software to better understand what is going on in your therapy. You describe a lot of discomfort and being unable to exhale. This can sometimes be a sign of a therapy problem, and the data and sleep study can help us evaluate if you are at risk for central or complex apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2019, 09:25 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: For setup instructions see this link
You are using nasal pillows which should seal around the bottom of your nose, not insert into the nostrils. A common error is to use too small of a nasal pillow size.
The feeling of not being able to exhale usually goes away quickly. It is made worse when air leaks from your mouth.  To use a nasal pillows mask you must inhale and exhale nasally.  Read the Mask Primer link in my signature.
Mind over matter, CPAP therapy solves an important health problem and many of us become very comfortable with it.  We're here to help you make that adjustment.  One way we can help is if you post the results of your sleep study with personal information redacted. Also, be sure to download and install software to better understand what is going on in your therapy.  You describe a lot of discomfort and being unable to exhale. This can sometimes be a sign of a therapy problem, and the data and sleep study can help us evaluate if you are at risk for central or complex apnea.

I will have to talk with my doctor and see if i can get a copy of the report . I've been sitting at my desk trying to get used to it, What i notice is i am inhaling and exhaling much more than usual. I think my biggest issue is it just feels like the air is coming too fast. Maybe subconsciously i am increasing my breathing because of it or something.  Last evening, i didn't try to use it, i think if i can start with naps that might work better, except not sure when i will get a chance to nap. I ordered a full face mask to try. My SO told me last night that i seemed congested in my nose, i did notice this morning i had a bit of congestion in both nostrils, so i was breathing out of my mouth, which i do sometimes, so maybe the other option will work for me, since when i feel like i need more oxygend i tend to inhale with my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a compliance requirement under insurance? If so, you are going to need to get more than 4-hours per day in 21 of 30 days or lose the machine. I've seen your situation before, and it is always an anxiety disorder/problem. You need to deal with this as the mental issue it is, or you will fail at CPAP. A CPAP at relatively low pressure has no capability to shove more air into your lungs than normal, It does slightly pressurize the airway, which is what keeps it open, but you need to learn to breathe normally or simply ignore the sensation. Once a person has adapted to CPAP, they often have to pull the mask away to see if it is still running. It totally disappears.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like you to understand just how much pressure you are actually dealing with.

I want you to get a straw and a glass.
Fill the glass with 2 inches of water.
Now put the straw to the bottom of the glass and make like a kid and blow bubbles. That was the lowest pressure a CPAP can produce.

Now the hard one. Fill the glass to 10 inches and repeat. That is the Maximum pressure a CPAP can produce.

The point is that the pressures are really small and you can master them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 7 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,769 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,941 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.