Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Dx Mild OSA w OSCAR Question
New Dx Mild OSA w OSCAR Question
[attachment=13634]

Hi, I'm new here.  Very grateful for this site!

Recently Dx'd w mild OSA.  Using DreamStation set at 6.5-12.  Attached is an OSCAR data set for last night.  I'm thinking the DreamStation overstates the AHI score, but I'm not confident interpreting the data.  Any information or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Please let me know if there is a better way for me to import the OSCAR data.

Thanks in advance, Sincerely, BG
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Dx Mild OSA w OSCAR Question
Below are some expanded graph images w questions... please help.
Thanks, Sincerely, BG

Typical Appearance of Clear Airway Apnea for me, is it real?

Is this a Real Hypopnea?

Are these False Positive Hypopneas?

Post Reply Post Reply
To score as a hypopnea the flow rate must drop some specified percentage below the baseline for at least 10 seconds. They do look legitimate to me, and the fact that they don't last very long indicates that they're not necessarily anything to worry about. Perhaps some tweaks can be made later to try and reduce or eliminate them, but right now we want to leave the settings as they are while your body adapts. Remember that you've likely lived with untreated sleep apnea for many years so it will take a little bit of time for your mind and body to adapt to the new situation.

The central apneas (also called clear airway apneas) are pretty common responses when we first start therapy. They tend to subside, but they can also be addressed later if need be.

Right now you seem to be on the right track.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Sleepster, many thanks for the speedy response!

I've been on APAP for 16 days now.  Initial setting was the usual 4-20.  I have changed it to 6.5-12 as my 90% pressure is ~7 per DreamMapper.

Thanks for the clarification on hypopnea...I was thinking they were false +s because I was still breathing.  I see now that they're more related to flow than respiratory cycle.

Almost all of my CAs are preceded by what appears to be a deep sigh, followed by a brief period of decreased breathing.  Not sure if that's "normal" and that's why I was thinking they may not be real CAs.

What's the average time for the adjustment period?
What's the average time for the adjustment related CAs to resolve?
Is it typical for CAs to be preceded by a deep inspiration?

Thanks again for any input, Sincerely, BG
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2019, 11:01 AM)Dominion Wrote: Almost all of my CAs are preceded by what appears to be a deep sigh, followed by a brief period of decreased breathing.  Not sure if that's "normal" and that's why I was thinking they may not be real CAs.

When there's no CPAP therapy the oxygen blood level drops, and the CO2 level rises, during apneas. Your body has learned that these are signals requiring intervention. Something has to be done to wake up so breathing can be started again. How your body learned to respond to those signals is going to be different than for most other people simply because we're all different.

Quote:What's the average time for the adjustment period?
What's the average time for the adjustment related CAs to resolve?

Doesn't really matter because everyone is different. You do not have a significant number of CA's to worry about, so you are off the scale for anyone taking measurements of these things. In other words, a perfectly healthy human is going to have a few CA's.

Quote:Is it typical for CAs to be preceded by a deep inspiration?

I don't know. Makes sense, though.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleepster for taking a look and for your reassuring comments!

Sincerely, BG
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,056 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 3 491 01-10-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mild OSA, fractured sleep - looking for advice rozlt 1 333 01-01-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Frequent wakeups with mild OSA -- help me interpret OSCAR? mcrick 6 698 12-24-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: mcrick
  Mild Clear Airway - Advice CharlieNow 16 1,300 11-30-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: CharlieNow
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  OSCAR Graph Question Events Flags/AHI Bob Cali 3 479 09-28-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.