Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New - Lots of Questions
RE: New - Lots of Questions
Yep, agreed with Gideon on the working with doc track. If you can avoid ruffled doc feathers, their ego isn't hurt and upon an edit positive change, you've built some credibility of knowledge of the CPAP.

I'd see this eventually going towards a VAuto BPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!
Congratulations on getting the "For Her' apap.

When I got mine home I found it had the cheap hose. Unheated. I shopped around and got a heated hose. It's more comfortable for me.

Anything that improves sleep quality is a good thing.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
That is a lot of flow limitation and snore. Gideon is right that you might need another machine and the best way to get one is to work with your doctor rather than go behind his back and start self titrating on your 2nd night.

He probably wont be interesting in hearing complaints on day 2 so I would recommend using the recommended settings for a few more days if not a week. Then especially if you have some higher ahi nights(since that will be main thing he will look at) you can make an easy argument something more needs to be done.

At that time you can ask about using higher pressure/auto mode (if he doesnt recommend it on his own). If he agrees I think you will find that the doing so will cause your pressure to max out. This will create a good argument to get a prescription for a bilevel or at a minimum a titration study done.

Although I am a proponent for self titrating to finding the best settings this is one case where listening to your doctor and jumping through his hoops will probably help you more in the long term.

In short the only way to get a bilevel prescription is for you to first fail cpap and your doctor needs to be convinced you have failed.

One other thing to note is that although your results arent great I am guessing they are a noticeable improvement over no cpap so imo there is no rush to be making changes yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have an amazing amount of flow limitation, but your breath through it and don't have apnea. I'm impressed, but I think it is positional apnea, but with flow limit instead of apnea. Using EPR will definitely help, but if there is anything that causes chin-tucking like multiple or high pillows, that is something to address. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea It is the clustering or on/off of obstruction that makes me think this is chin-tucking.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for the advice. I did check and the run time and use time were both 0 when I got the machine, and they sent the climateline hose with it.

I will take the advice to wait a week and see if the Doc is receptive to adjusting, have a feeling he will want me to wait 6 weeks for the actual follow up...

i do feel somewhat better with the treatment so far. Also feel like an idiot for not doing this 5 years ago.

Will investigate the positional apnea possibility.

Thank you again to everyone
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are already feeling a little better then that is good.

I forgot you already had a titration study, that will make it a bit tougher to convince doctor to try different settings, machine etc so definitely take your time with him. It does take a while to adjust to CPAP so he will want you to give it a good try and time for your body to adjust. Having nights with AHI over 5 will be your best argument to try higher pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
I gave one actual change to make., And it is to OSCAR. Change the reporting to RDI instead of AHI. You do thin in preferences.

You are having RERAS, and RDI = AHI + RERAS. This, RDI, provides a higher 'number' which in turn indicates greater severity. It will make everyone who sees it check your RERAS and thus be aware of them and that is good.

I suspect SleepRider's suggestion of positional apnea is likely correct.
Positional apnea to your doctor is sleeping on your back, side, front and not a cervical alignment issue. It would be extremely unusual for him to recognize this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 147 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Lots of Ufs on Oscar sprinter 3 357 12-23-2023, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 565 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.