Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member with Basic Questions
New Member with Basic Questions
Hey folks, so thankful for this forum populated with people who care.

I'm on CPAP for a year now since diagnosis and still struggling. I didn't know what I didn't know over these past months but I have realized that my doctor is completely worthless and I've wasted a lot of time. I want my brain back.

So far as I know, my main issue is brain fog. 

I'm on a Resvent iBreeze which I thought when I got it was one of the top machines. Turns out I can't even get a manual to it on this site (although I do know how to access clinician settings). Also, OSCAR doesn't work on it. So my first question is: does anyone think this machine is any good? Does the machine matter? Reading your posts, it looks like the consensus is that the ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset is the best machine available now. I could spring for this, but would it add that much value for me? Can anyone compare it to the iBreeze or tell me why it is worth my investment at this time?

I know I've got a problem with leaks. Over the last month, my Median Avg. Leak is 14.0 and my Leak 95% Avg. is 55.5 (L/min). I've got about a week in there where my Leak 95% Avg. was exactly 120, which must be the highest limit for the machine. I don't understand leaks. I've spent hours on your board today - is there a page that speaks to leaks directly? I've already bought a variety of ResMed masks. I have leakage with all of them - full face, hybrid and pillow. How do I eliminate leaks? Where do they come from? I know I'm a mouth breather but even when my full face mask is on tight (too tight?) I still have substantial leakage. How did you folks eliminate the leakage issue?

Based on what I've already read here, I ordered a new soft cervical pillow, some mouth tape and an Eliminator Series Sleep Pillow a few moments ago. 

FWIW, over the last 30 days, my AHI average is 10.9, and my Pressure Max is 12.2, my Pressure 95% is 10.9 and my Pressure Median is 8.7. Based on what I read here today, I changed my APAP settings to 8-13.

I'm open to everyone's thoughts and hope you can help. Thanks so much!
CajunKev
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member with Basic Questions
Im fairly new here but i can offer some input to your first question based on my own experience so far. Having a machine that you can use with OSCAR is incredibly useful as it can really help to see the data to optimize your therapy. Also it seems like OSCAR is the program that most people here are familiar with so it can be easier to get help from folks here if you're using OSCAR. I do believe that CPAP machines are built different. I was using an obscure machine that my insurance had sent me and it made every single mask i was using feel uncomfortable and it also was not compatible with OSCAR so i was unable to get help from anyone. So i bought a resmed airsense 10 and it made the masks that were once uncomfortable to use with the old machine be usable and it also helped to get super valuable data into OSCAR. If you can afford it, i would suggest getting a machine that is compatible with OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting the software would be huge. I think there is a way to use iMatrix software on a PC and access the Resvent gateway, but I don't have personal experience with that. A search for "iMatrix Resvent" will get to to where you can see some information.

Your AHI is pretty high, and if we could see if those apnea are obstructive and occur in clusters, then we would suspect it is positional apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea We see positional apnea more as an obstruction in the upper airway caused by the head/neck position, and a soft cervical collar is usually much more effective than various pillows. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

Unfortunately we can review your data to correlate events with pressure to advise you on better settings. Based on your description, it seems you have increased pressure to 8-13 range, and I assume the minimum pressure was lower before. I think your increase in pressure is a move in the right direction based on the current distribution of pressure. Are you using any kind of exhale pressure relief?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome too the forum ! Should be able to get somethimg figured out here ! 

Drs and clinicians just look at your Ahi and leaks for the most part ! What I've learnt , I'm newbie started in Jan with my first sleep study. 

I did look at getting a second machine for travel and looked at the Ibreeze.  I worked a deal out with a guy for 300 bucks . But after digging saw resmed was better so I found one with low hours like 1600 for 500 bucks so did that route.  It is aa airsense 10 which is a good model. 

I do own the airsense 10 and airsense 11 personally I find the as10 quieter . The 11 touch screen is nicer , but if I had to go over do it again id proably get a as10 for main machine. 

Anyways going on as wanted to Share my experience on the machines.  A good second hand machine might be a good option . Or even find a good price on a new unit. 

If you get a resmed machine or capable Oscar there are some amazing folks here to solve your issues . 

The IBreeze I know has some grhong software which may be of value and help you figure out some settings.    

Lastly deff get your leaks fixed like you've noticed ! Makes a huge difference on pressures and AHI 

Best of luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the comments folks! I have a soft cervical pillow coming in today (one of the ones the forum recommended), and I'm moving forward to get an AirSense 11 AutoSet also. 

Most of your comments touched on the machine, but I am still wondering about leaks. How do I get rid of them? I've tried all the variables in masks, I've tried making them tight (mostly), I've tried chin straps, etc. Is there a technique in putting the masks on that helps prevent leaks? Is there a type of mask that generally works better or does it just depend on the person? I feel like my mask is not leaking when I go to bed, but my results aren't good. Last night my AHI was 9.4 and I got 3 stars for Mask Fit (the best score), but I still see leakage at 13.5L/min. Is that a high leakage? What does 13.5L/min even mean?

Thanks so much,
Kevin
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask leaks, or the lack of them, is highly dependent on how close your facial anatomy is to the model used to design the mask. No one mask is a perfect fit for everyone. Many have found the F&P line of masks to be one of the most accommodating. Again, this is a generalization, and not an endorsement that it will solve your problems.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried the F20 mask with memory foam? Thats the one i have and my leaks are fairly low throughout the night. If u check my profile my pressure is pretty high so maybe that mask can work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried the F20 with memory foam. I wasn't checking my stats like I am now when I did use it, but I do recall it didn't last long because of my skin type. So I am now on the silicone version of that mask now (at least when I have a full face on). Appreciate the comment though. I may try it again once I get the new machine...

CajunKev

Thanks, Red. I'll look at F&P when I'm ready to try a new mask. Right now, I have 3 ResMed masks...

CajunKev
Post Reply Post Reply
The silicone F20 mask has been working great for me.  It wasn't always.  First, as was suggested by someone who posted in my thread, I watched a youtube video on getting my particular mask to fit properly.  Then, someone suggested I make sure I wash my face every night before putting on the mask. I also make sure to clean the silicone.

Actually, I've been so suspicious of my lack of leakage that this morning I am going to investigate this.  Which reminds me, a video camera has been INVALUABLE in trying to get a handle on my apnea situation.

WELCOME & BEST WISHES
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
As to your mask, I use an f20 also.  To eliminate leaks I started using a mouth guard, now I rarely have any leaks at all. The more I would tighten the mask the more the mask would push my lower jaw back causing a leak. Anyway, this is what worked for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 376 8 hours ago
Last Post: Matsu1
  EPR questions juniper 5 197 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 176 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 152 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 248 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 201 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 363 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.