Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New ResMed S9 - how to tell which model
RE: New ResMed S9 - how to tell which model
(08-15-2013, 06:20 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The reporting capabilities are nice when you are having trouble with therapy or are making changes to pressure or equipment (new mask, humidification, etc.)
This is probably the most important reason for getting a data-capable machine. The more you take your health into your own hands, the more likely you will be to succeed.

Another important selling point for me on the data-capable machine was that when it's paid for by insurance, your out-of-pocket costs are identical for the data machine vs the brick. The DME is already charging a lot of money. They want you to buy the brick because they make more money from your insurance than if you buy the auto. If you're going to pay the same out-of-pocket cost, why not buy the better machine? It just rankles me to pay the same amount for a brick.
[Image: dreamdiver-signature-gif.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
In the Resmed S9 series there is also the VPAP Adapt which is about their most expensive machines from what I'm told. It's what I have.

I have complex sleep apnea but mainly central with very little obstructive. I have been battling Apria Healthcare ever since receiving the machine if August/September 2014.

Fortunately I am a CA state judge and have made all sorts of legal threats to Apria over the last several years as they continue to get away with billing both me and my health insurer, Unitedhealthcare. I finally, recently, got a letter from Apria saying they have zeroed out all alleged patient balances and acknowledged that I own the machine (originally a rental).

Apria's the worst. Unfortunately they are also the biggest DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2013, 02:04 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: ... If the machine is an AutoSet with humidifier that costs them $900, they make roughly a $600 gross profit....
Sorry for the hijack OP.

You prefaced that sentence with "if"... however... I just got offered a brand NEW Autoset with zero hours for $325.
Given that the DME buys in bulk.. they are probably only paying $300 or maybe even less.
The medical business model is obscene in the US.  Too many fat cats applying ridiculous markups simply because they can get away with it.

That probably explains why the US spends more per capita than any other country in the world with inferior medical outcomes.

https://www.pgpf.org/blog/2019/07/how-do...r-countrie

$0.02
Post Reply Post Reply
Gents, you do realise this thread is over six years old?
Post Reply Post Reply
Luckily our Medicare DME always provides the top tier machine. They will even replace the machine for a full five years if something breaks rather than the manufacturers two year warrantee. The only problem I’ve had was the doc who prescribed my first machine insisted I get an machine (which no one but his patients were using). Had the feeling he probably was getting a kickback. My DME let me exchange it for a ResMed S9 before the one month trial expired.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2019, 08:22 PM)ApneaQuestions Wrote:
(08-14-2013, 02:04 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: ... If the machine is an AutoSet with humidifier that costs them $900, they make roughly a $600 gross profit....  
Sorry for the hijack OP.

You prefaced that sentence with "if"... however... I just got offered a brand NEW Autoset with zero hours for $325.

Yeah, but you got that offered to you at that price this year (2019).   My post about an AutoSet with humidifier for $900 was made in 2013, back when they were relatively new on the market.

In other news, I paid $2000 for a nice Windows 2000 Server PC back around 2001.  Found a similar Windows 2000 Server PC last year for free at a yard sale.  Should have waited, I guess... live and learn.    Whistle
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm.. that second analaogy has a few flaws in it.  Maybe you were just joking. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what model is this? airwaystent 8 382 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,096 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,083 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Resmed Curve 10 need model # help Fiveseven108 17 1,169 09-16-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Greywolfe
  [Equipment] F&P SleepStyle (new model) Help with setup? BethT 5 989 05-24-2022, 09:46 PM
Last Post: BethT
  [Equipment] Other brands and model alternatives to Dreamstation autoSV DSX900T11C ggoodrich 2 1,071 08-24-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does anyone know when ResMed is likely to replace the S10 with a new model? green wings 12 2,489 02-19-2021, 03:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.