Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New To The Forum [help with CPAP settings]
RE: New To The Forum
I had disturbed sleep when I started. It may take a while before you feel the benefits. I was waking up every 2 hours.
The first thing I noticed was that I didn't get tired in the afternoon and wanting a sleep. I think that was a month or so on cpap.
The main thing is to keep the mask on all night and let your body get use to cpap.
The DS is slow to respond to obstructions and as been said to raise the min a bit at a time, till the OA/H clear
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
So here is last nights results. I was pretty restless the first portion. Just couldn't fall asleep. I got up around 12:15 and didn't get back to bed till 1:05. I was dealing with a sick toddler. After that I ended up passing out. I woke up this morning once and took my mask off thinking I was going to get up for good. Ended up putting the mask on and falling asleep again for an hour or two.

Overall I feel pretty good. I didn't change any of the settings. Minimum is still set to 8 and Maximum is 15. I didn't feel like I was in a fog when waking up. Waking up was much quicker than normal. I felt alert and active within a minute of opening my eyes. I felt better this morning, than after a normal night without CPAP. 

[attachment=10949]
Post Reply Post Reply
Update. 

These are the past 4 nights. There have been some minor changes. Around Saturday or Sunday I changed my nasal pillow to a large and it seems to fit much more comfortably. Additionally, last night I swapped out the Dreamwear frame to a large as well. That was a huge difference as I now realize how uncomfortable the medium frame and nasal pillow were.

The major change was the increase in minimum pressure from 8 to 8.5 on 03/25. That night wasn't a good night, so I'm considering it a one off. Essentially because of my schedule I wasn't able to clean my new accessories in time for bed and ended up using an older hose and mask. Same style mask and hose. I had to clean the old hose and old mask as best I could and there was a very odd odor that was keeping me awake.

In regards to AHI, obviously a 0.00 would be the best, but what is a reasonable AHI that should be satisfactory? Also, is there anymore tweaking I should be looking at?

Again, thanks for all the help.

[attachment=11002][attachment=11003][attachment=11004][attachment=11005]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New To The Forum [help with CPAP settings]
Those results aren't too bad on paper. Anything under 5 is regarded as "treated" but most of us are aiming for a 2 or less. Aiming for a zero is not realistic, as even people without apnea will have the occasional glitch in their breathing. You're still getting quite a few hypopneas, so a further small increase in pressure might help to reduce those. If your sleep is disturbed by outside factors (eg a crying baby) then you're going to be tired the next day, regardless of your apnea hypopnea scores.

As an aside, can you turn off the calendar in your daily charts? That will allow the machine settings to be seen.

<Edited to add:> You mentioned washing your hose and mask. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just hang your hose in a warm dry place out of direct sunlight. Any condensation will drain out and you'll be good to go. I wash my hose out once a week (if I remember) and others have longer periods. Daily washing is not necessary and takes up your valuable time.

The mask is a different issue if you're using nasal pillows - the most convenient way to clean it is to use baby wipes on a nightly basis and a thorough wash once a week. Have a look around the forum: there are many threads on the best way to keep your equipment clean, and many many different personal regimes.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I went ahead and increased my pressure twice. I went with something that felt comfortable and felt like it "fit" with my breathing. Not sure if that's a good thing. Last night I did take my mask off for some reason and forgot to put it back on until two hours later after falling asleep again. I think its starting to look and feel better.

[attachment=11025][attachment=11026]
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=11057]So after increasing the pressure to 9.5, I was able to consistently get my AHI down under 2.0 for three nights. I don't really understand much of the charts, but should I be focusing on anything else? Is there anything else I should be lowering? These two screenshots are my last couple of nights. 

[attachment=11057][attachment=11058]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your approach is pretty solid. You increased pressure in an increment of 0.5 cm and have seen a change for the better, particularly in a reduction of Hypopnea and slight decrease for RERA. Give these changes time to settle in, and I would not hesitate to try a pressure of 10.0 and then judge what works best for you from a comfort standpoint. It does appear you are getting very good results, more consistently now.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 264 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 223 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 184 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 259 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 932 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.