Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Too much blowing
Too much blowing
Current machine is the ResMed AirSense10 AutoSet, ClimateLine hose, AirTouch F20 mask, Ruby Strap,  Boomerang nasal gel pad

Normally I average about 8 hours a night on the AirSense10, with low average AHI. The typical MyAir score is 100.

In late November I fell off a ladder and broke my shoulder. This has necessitated sleeping on my back. When I do that, the mask lashup does not form a good seal with my face. The unit starts blasting me with way too much air, and this makes it impossible to sleep. Before the accident, I slept on my side and the collapsing of facial skin around the edge of the mask kept leakage under control.

Now, I'm finding that even if I use my one good hand to hold the mask in place, it is impossible to get the cpap unit to "calm down." It just keeps blasting me, and I end up having to take off the mask and turn off the cpap unit. So here is my question: Does anyone know whether what I am experiencing as "blasting" is user controllable via a setting? I have fiddled with the min and max pressure settings, but this has no effect on the blasting.

The only help my sleep doctor offered was to tell me to stop using the cpap unit until I can sleep on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Too much blowing
I'd suggest posting an OSCAR chart to show us what's going on overnight. You'll probably need to visit the mask wiki about the mask adjustments. It doesn't sound acceptable, but for quite a few this is normal. Given that you've edited settings, even if you resolve your air boost, which might be a massive air leak, you'll likely need to get good therapy settings again.

You may find that things about your F20 mask really don't match your facial form. So you may need a different cushion or choose a different mask model.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F20 mask and have no problems with leakage while om my back or side. As Dave suggested, it may not be the right mask for your face. I tried several full face masks before finding one that didn't leak (In my case the F20). It may be the wrong size (The F20 comes in three sizes) or not adjusted properly. See the link below for the mask primer. you may find some help there.

You mentioned that the machine is blasting you when you hold the mask in place with your hand. Do you mean the pressure is increasing while there is no leakage around the mask seal?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think a lot of members have reported problems with the F20 mask. F30 or F30i seems to be better. See mask reviews in the Review forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I've mentioned plenty, I've found the Fisher and Paykel full face Vitera and Simplus to be quite a lot better than the F20. More comfort, easier seal on back of side, light feeling.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2020, 09:08 PM)Mashunsnik Wrote: . . .
In late November I fell off a ladder and broke my shoulder. This has necessitated sleeping on my back. When I do that, the mask lashup does not form a good seal with my face. The unit starts blasting me with way too much air, and this makes it impossible to sleep. Before the accident, I slept on my side and the collapsing of facial skin around the edge of the mask kept leakage under control.
. . .
Hi Mashunsnik,
When I started PAPing in early 2014, I found my apnea was (and is) dramatically worse when supine.  My AHI only started to be reasonable when I developed means to stay off my back.  Early on, I would find clusters of apnea, driving the pressure up to max, and blasting me, as you describe.  In more recent time on this board, the solution commonly suggested for this issue is to use a Soft Cervical Collar, to assist in keeping the airway aligned and unrestricted.  Since your issue started when you began sleeping supine, your issue might be similar.  The SCC might work for you until you can resume side-sleeping.

Good Luck in finding the right approach.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz
  Too much air blowing after cleaning eddog89 8 4,423 05-04-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: Sidesleeper2023
  [Equipment] Machine Blowing Too Hard On Inhale—DreamStation 1 fortywinks 0 527 03-28-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: fortywinks
  Airsense autoset 11 can I disable blowing again after turned off? plaidwandering 5 1,730 01-09-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  BIPAP machine stops blowing when I stop breathing Willec49 49 3,697 09-07-2022, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Willec49
  [CPAP] device starts blowing about 30 mins after being turned off willid3 3 1,125 08-25-2022, 11:22 AM
Last Post: willid3
  ResMed really blowing. cnl390 2 721 03-10-2022, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.