Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User - Need advice on how to treat my Mom
New User - Need advice on how to treat my Mom
Hi everyone,

Please skip to paragraph 4 & 5 where I explain why I need help.

1)
I am M-20 and just left an appointment with a sleep doctor who suspects sleep disordered breathing (Results: 4.9AHI, 9.6RDI, 2.0 ODI, 92% mean oxygen desaturation.) With debilitating symptoms of brain fog, daytime fatigue / sleepiness, lack of motivation in tandem with my brain fog and fairly severe anxiety, I'm excited to start using my CPAP and get my life back on track. 

2)
However, I have an issue and need some advice on how to approach the problem. I suspect my Mom has a more severe version of Sleep Apnea since she suffers the same daytime symptoms as me, but with more severity. She is obese and snores very loudly with noticeable issues in her ability to breathe while sleeping. 

3)
She is currently unemployed due to a redundancy made by a bureaucratic decision made by the government where she was employed. Since then, she has had no access to health insurance, and no money to spend on her own healthcare. Since she's older, and is at risk for a lot of health conditions, I'm trying to take matter into my own hands to treat her health while finishing my college degree at a prestigious university, studying computer science and physics.  

3)
Because of my occupation in school, which provides me access to health insurance and general healthcare, as well as my corresponding symptoms, I'll find it difficult to juggle between having a job, and succeeding in school, especially given my lack of capital to pursue additional support. I want to get her a CPAP machine, without a prescription.

4)Neither my Mom or I can afford to get her a sleep study given the lack of health insurance. Given the already extreme life stressors she's facing, I'd like to at least treat her suspected sleep apnea to avoid her risk of developing heart conditions, which has been an issue in my family. Additionally, the alleviation of her brain fog would allow her to function better and work more side jobs to make money. Paragraph 5 will discuss my plan and have questions as to what to do.

5)
I'm planning to get some money and buy her a CPAP machine, to start taking care of her daytime and night time symptoms. I will ask a few questions down below and hope that some of you could garner some advice regarding how to proceed. 
  • Should I get her a CPAP machine even without a diagnosis from a sleep study (Symptoms include: daytime sleepiness, brain fog, fatigue, frequent awakenings during sleep, insomnia, very loud snoring)
  • If I get her a CPAP machine, what are the potential health risks that can occur from incorrectly titrating it.
  • If I get her a CPAP machine, how should I go about titrating the system without hurting her in any way.
She's already taken the steps to start losing weight and has already lost 15 pounds within the last month, however, her already small appetite along with a decent diet, still caused her to gain weight. She has lost this weight mostly through malnutrition due to the lack of money. 

Thank you for reading my post and a special thanks to those who'll respond with useful advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User - Need advice on how to treat my Mom
You don't say how old your mom is. Does she qualify for Medicare or Medicaid? If not, you can look for a pap machine in places like EBay, Marketplace, Craig's list, etc.

Check in with her doctor, they sometimes know of other resources.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your description of mom and her symptoms is accurate, she will likely benefit from CPAP therapy. She does not need a sleep test to prove it, if her primary care physician will cooperate and help you to obtain appropriate therapy. A CPAP and equipment can be prescribed by any doctor, nurse, PA or health professional with prescription authorization. That is why you can get prescriptions online by simply filling out a questionnaire. The point is, you will need to get insurance authorization or pay out of pocket, and that is where it gets a bit complicated. Anyone with obvious symptoms of sleep apnea should be able to get a CPAP and supporting equipment prescription from their doctor. Just talk to them and explain the situation. A real prescription makes the rest much easier. Insurance will likely require a sleep study to prove the need for equipment in order to pay for it, but if you are not looking for insurance coverage, then Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Offerup and other markets are your friend. There are many opportunities to get equipment. I have bought several machines on Craigslist using the SearchTempest search engine. I strongly recommend a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, which is widely available, and nearly automatic. The prescription can help to obtain the best mask option. If she can tolerate a nasal interface the Resmed Airfit P10 is the least restrictive, lightest and easiest to fit mask, and you can buy it in parts (cushion, headgear, frame) if you don't have a prescription. So let's talk. It's easy to do, and I have done it. I even have good insurance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah the insurance route is not an option for us at all. I'll ask her to check for any obstructions in her nose to see if a full face mask is in order. I'm assuming that to titrate the machine to my Mom's apnea, I'll have to start off at a low setting, and gradually increase it weekly till her OSCAR data consistently shows that she has an AHI lower than 5 (preferably lower than 1). Am I right in saying this?
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (auto CPAP) and use a minimum pressure of 7.0, maximum pressure 12.0 with EPR full-time at 2. Record the results on a SD card so you can upload the results to OSCAR, and we will see exactly what needs to be done.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some programs out there to help with low income, no income, folks requiring CPAP...

[Commercial Link Removed] Search for, "Help! I Can’t Afford CPAP. Where To Find Low-Cost or Free CPAP Machines and Supplies"

I don't know much more about the programs than that.  Perhaps your mom, via your help, can utilize one of those programs.  Just a thought.

It wouldn't hurt to relate your story to the higher-ups at any DMEs, local to your mom.  Maybe they might consider helping with refurbished equipment too.

Given the recent massive Philips systems recall, there may not be many non-Philips PAP machines available, as they might be all utilized in the short-term as temporary loaners (or replacements) for recalled Philips customers, while they await new replacements.  Several months from now, it could turn the other way, once recalled Philips devices become fixed.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-ONE-USERS

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you, as I live in the UK (thank goodness for the NHS). I just wanted to say welcome to the board and good luck. It's incredibly generous of you to go ahead and purchase her a machine to help out.

Also, feel free to post back here (about yourself, as well as your mom) if you want help with tweaking your own therapy too once you start on CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 165 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 255 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 60 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,784 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.