Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New burn off smell
RE: New burn off smell
I agree with the trouble-solving steps in this thread. I get a burnt popcorn smell when my humidifier runs out of water.

But since you've said that's not it...

Might someone nearby be cooking, or making coffee? Or animals making bad smells?

I agree about the bad breath - that happens to me sometimes. Ugh.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2019, 08:32 PM)Big Guy Wrote: That's the funny thing with SA therapy. Even though we all use similar equipment, chase the same desired outcomes, and experience varying degrees of success, we seem to feel stymied when it doesn't all all together. 

I'm closing in on one year, things are going good, no problems and/or issues, and I don't feel any different or better.  Dont-know

Thanks Big Guy
That what I’m concerned about getting everything adjusted right (sealing, etc,.) and a year later feeling no different or better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2019, 12:24 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I agree with the trouble-solving steps in this thread. I get a burnt popcorn smell when my humidifier runs out of water.  

But since you've said that's not it...

Might someone nearby be cooking, or making coffee? Or animals making bad smells?  

I agree about the bad breath - that happens to me sometimes. Ugh.

Thanks Hydrangea 
No to cooking, making coffee or animals.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something I forgot to mention was, along with the smell, my chest between my breast felt strange like I was congested, my throat was dry, my setting for the humidifier is at 6, and it used one third of the water in the humidifier, my nose was not dry, actually felt like my nose was getting moisture.

Leaking and smell, the smell could be from being a smoker and it was forcing the left over smoke from my lungs and into the mask?

The leaking could it have something to do with the absence of dentures at night when I’m going to bed?

I’m going to keep grasping for straws until I find the problem with not being able to use  CPAP for SA, or until I figure out I’ve been beating a dead horse and through the CPAP in the garbage and accept the fact that is the way God programmed me to live and stop fighting him.
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine smelled pretty funky, especially just after turning it off, for the first couple of weeks. It seems to be gone now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would you want to try a nasal mask/pillow? It could help eliminate the smell coming from your mouth.

(I mean this in a very nice way. When I am not liking the smell of my breath, I switch to a nasal mask/pillow for the night.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2019, 05:38 AM)Apnearon Wrote: Something I forgot to mention was, along with the smell, my chest between my breast felt strange like I was congested, my throat was dry, my setting for the humidifier is at 6, and it used one third of the water in the humidifier, my nose was not dry, actually felt like my nose was getting moisture.

Leaking and smell, the smell could be from being a smoker and it was forcing the left over smoke from my lungs and into the mask?

The leaking could it have something to do with the absence of dentures at night when I’m going to bed?

I’m going to keep grasping for straws until I find the problem with not being able to use  CPAP for SA, or until I figure out I’ve been beating a dead horse and through the CPAP in the garbage and accept the fact that is the way God programmed me to live and stop fighting him.

There are a couple interesting issues here. Smoking can lead to all kinds of odors and oral conditions as well as residues on skin and facial hair. Dentures dramatically change the shape of your face and fundamentally change the face you had when your mask was fit. In a perfect world, quit smoking and get implants.  In this world, you need to pay attention to oral and facial hygiene and if implants are not an option, fit your mask, the way you sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
it goes without saying, smoking will stink up the machine along with everything else. most non-smokers won't buy a smoker's used machine for that reason. I bought a smoker's machine to try cpap in about 1994. the smoke smell is evident to this day. I occasionally imbibe in a smoky form of legal cannabis. the smoke smell stays in my mask and hose until I wash them.

there's another odor that I've experienced and others have reported to be like an burning/burnt electrical smell. I think in my case it has something to do with the humidifier because it seems to go away when I turn it off and use passive humidification. hose temp may or may not have something to do with it, idk. others I've read have suspected something left over from manufacturing internal to the machine burning off.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've also had this burning smell. I've probably had it 3-4 times. 3 times was when the water was either gone or way below the minimum line. The one other time was a head scratcher since the tank was full!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2019, 11:07 PM)gsilver Wrote: My machine smelled pretty funky, especially just after turning it off, for the first couple of weeks. It seems to be gone now.

Thanks Gsilver
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 287 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 27,258 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,954 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,515 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,703 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,972 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Resmed Climateline tubing smell wenfroed 21 7,822 10-08-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.