Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New, but not new
New, but not new
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a year ago. I've been very consistent about using my cpap machine, my MyAir numbers are good, my AHI numbers are usually below 1, but I don't feel any better. I found this site, downloaded Sleepyhead and am hoping someone can help me unravel why I'm still so tired.

Here's my story -
I have been suffering with constant fatigue since 2005. I was originally diagnosed with anemia, which was resolved by 2009. I did improve some, but I was still constantly fatigued. Finally, last year my doctor at Kaiser suggested a sleep test. I was sent home with an oximeter, and returned it the next day. They called that same day and said I had severe obstructive sleep apnea, 33 AHI. Then they sent me home with a cpap machine for a one week sleep study, and shortly after that I was given an Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, and a ResMed Mirage FX for Her nasal mask. I do not have a copy of my sleep study.

I called Kaiser this summer and told them I did not feel any better. A couple weeks later, someone at Kaiser called to tell me the doctor (who I've never met) looked at my online data and saw I had a lot of leaks, so I was fitted for the AirFitP10 nasal pillows, which has worked well for me. But, I still don't feel any better.

I fall asleep easily, but wake up every couple hours to use the bathroom. I also wake up during the night for no apparent reason, or because I'm hot. I always fall back to sleep easily. I wake up tired, I never feel refreshed. I take a nap every day.

I feel like a broken record, always saying the same thing – I'm tired. I don't go to movies, visit friends or do any of my old hobbies. I can't even read a book because I can't focus.

I've looked at the information from Sleepyhead, but it's a foreign language to me at this point. I'm hoping that someone can help me understand what is going on, and if there is anything I can do to improve my sleep.

I have snapshots of my Sleepyhead data, and will post them as soon as I can.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New, but not new
Maybe someone could tell me what I'm supposed to put under “humidifier” – all I know is it's the one that came with the cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum

If you have your Sleep Study(s) post that too.  

Pay attention to the organization of your daily charts, Not all are as important as others.  The left column data also.

To post now, until you are granted "Member" Status shortly after your 4th post, add a space to the url like this "htt p://IMGUR.com/xxxxxx.png"  We will figure it out.  
Hopefully the data will help us to help you

Oh humidifier, see what I entered.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Uphill,
Not all CPAP have an integrated humidifier. That's for the ones that don't.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, hopefully I have that filled out correctly now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are some random Sleepyhead charts - is there is a better way to choose them?
And tell me if I need to organize them differently.

https://imgur.com/NxJfbbO
https://imgur.com/NEWz79s
https://imgur.com/0Jz9ILS

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
You have pretty good results, but a lot of breaks in therapy. Your pressure is being driven by flow limitations, and your pressure immediately rises when you start therapy. There are options you are not using like EPR (exhale pressure relief) that might make therapy more comfortable and can help with flow limitations if used correctly. EPR reduces your exhale pressure (EPAP) by 1 to 3 cm below your CPAP inhale pressure (IPAP). This pressure difference can make therapy more comfortable, and may help with flow limits and hypopnea, however it is important to keep minimum pressure high enough so that obstructive apnea do not occur.

If you want to implement EPR, I suggest setting minimum CPAP pressure at 10.0 cm. EPR may be on the comfort settings if your machine is setup to allow patient control of EPR. If not, just press the control knob and home button at the same time, and enter the settings menu, then scroll to EPR. You want EPR at full time, and set to 2. You will notice a significant difference in how the therapy feels, and this should help with the flow limits and hypopnea events. It may take a few days to settle in and we should review your results if you want to go this way.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try it. I set my minimum pressure to 10.0 cm, went into the clinical setting and set EPR to On, Full Time, Level 2. I'll post again in a few days to update this post.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Uphill,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy, you have come to the right place for guidance. Do check back and let us know how it goes for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2017, 09:00 PM)Uphill Wrote: I'll try it. I set my minimum pressure to 10.0 cm, went into the clinical setting and set EPR to On, Full Time, Level 2.  I'll post again in a few days to update this post.

Thanks!

Great!  I look forward to hearing back from you in a few days.  Understand that what we are doing is using your current minimum pressure as your EPAP, but giving you an additional 2-cm of support for inhale (IPAP).  In theory anyway, this should help you achieve your goals of comfort, less flow limitation and better rest.  I guess we'll see.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.