Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New & confused
RE: New & confused
It sounds like your pressures are similar to my own (see profile at left) with settings at 18/9.0 PS 4.0.  As Fred says, to take advantage of the Vauto function, you need to make your settings such that pressure can rise or fall a bit.  With 12/8 and PS 4, that will be fixed pressure.  I think you will like the Vauto much more than the Philips.  I came from the Philips System One DS760 auto BiPAP and the Resmed is more comfortable with a lower AHI event rate.  Instead of BiFlex, the Resmed uses EasyBreathe™ that shapes the pressure changes much like a cresting wave. You can see the shaping of the pressure support by looking at the mask pressure chart in OSCAR.  Mask pressure is a chart function your Philips does not have and shows the precise delivery of pressure in response to your breathing flow rate. I will attach a chart to show an example.  In addition, the Resmed allows a number of fine-tuning adjustments you have not had previously like setting the minimum and maximum time of inspiration at which IPAP pressure is provided, and changing the sensitivity of the machine to trigger IPAP or cycle to EPAP.  For now, just use the default settings.  The only feature the Resmed Vauto does not have is a variable pressure support.  The pressure support is fixed, while with the Philips BiPAP you could have set a range.

Here is a closeup of the Vauto breathing flow rate compared to mask pressure in OSCAR.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=16846]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider.

I've attached my most current and complete telemetry from OSCAR. So far, I do like the AirSense more. Feeling rested upon waking, but was initially having some fitment issues with my P30i mask. For the most part, I've resolved these by increasing the humidity, and swapping out the Medium for Small pillows.

Feel free to comment on the report; is there anything there that I should be concerned about, or settings that could be tweaked? Thinking-about

Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers look ok. You are experiencing some mouth breathing and large leaks that are only marginally high. These are related.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adding to Fred's comments, your AHI is in good shape here with OA events being less than 1.5 per hour and not clustered. Your minimum EPAP pressure of 8.0 looks to be pretty good and pressure is only moving to 10.0 max. A pressure variation of only 2-cm should be minimally disruptive to your sleep. I don't think the leaks are large enough to interfere with therapy, but it's something to work on to avoid sleep arousals. These appear to be leaks through your mouth rather than mask leaks, and it's not uncommon when you are deeply relaxed to see this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2019, 01:55 PM)bonjour Wrote: You are experiencing some mouth breathing and large leaks that are only marginally high.  These are related.

(11-08-2019, 03:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: These appear to be leaks through your mouth rather than mask leaks, and it's not uncommon when you are deeply relaxed to see this.

First of all, thank you both for your assistance. Please excuse my ignorance, but what markers does OSCAR report that would indicate mouth breathing?

This does clear up another mystery; why I sometimes wake up with a dry mouth. Tonight, I will increase my humidity and see where that takes me.

Also, I ordered a nasal cushion for my P30i. I'm hoping maybe the combo might lessen the mouth breathing and leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply
See the flat tops on the leak chart? That indicates "mouth breathing". Changing the mask is unlikely to fix this unless it is to a full face mask.
Wiki covering Mouth breathing. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Breathing
Post Reply Post Reply
The leaks on that chart were based on using the nasal pillows (Airfit P10?). When you switch to a full face mask, the mouth leaks usually go away unless your mouth slips from the mask seal, but the downside is a larger, heavier mask that has much more surface area to seal, and that is more likely to leak around the mask. Lots of members have the mouth leaks with nasal masks, and eventually get it under control. It will be interesting to hear your experience with a full face mask and your comfort. Don't forget to change the mask type setting.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2019, 08:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The leaks on that chart were based on using the nasal pillows (Airfit P10?)

I'm using a P30i with pillows and waking up feeling rested. The dry mouth, while somewhat annoying, is infrequent. Before going with a full face mask, I would explore other options, beginning with a soft cervical collar, then working my way through the Wiki List Fred posted a link to Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Good plan.

My confusion on the mask, I'm still not used to seeing the Airfit P30i nasal pillows and thought you were moving the F30 full face. Please disregard.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 291 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 356 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,084 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 715 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 525 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New and confused Retvet72 3 463 07-18-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  A little confused. David Clark 12 907 06-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.