Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP -- Headaches pre-CPAP and with CPAP
New to CPAP -- Headaches pre-CPAP and with CPAP
Hello, I am grateful for this forum and its contributors the excellent information available here.

I have been using cpap for 7 nights. While generally I would be inclined to spend more time reading and learning before posting, I didn't want another week or two to pass before querying, in the event that someone here might be able to provide me some guidance that might speed me along toward my goal of elimination of headaches.

Headaches were my #1 reason for doing a home sleep study, the results of which showed mild OSA. I received an Rx for Auto CPAP. I don't have any sleep professionals assisting me.

Any suggestions about best steps forward for eliminating headaches?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP -- Headaches pre-CPAP and with CPAP
Set your min pressure to 6, many adults find 4 is too low.

Look at the organization link in my signature. The left sidebar is very important (without the sidebar and calendar)
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum

Please enable the left hand side panel without the pie chart. Also squeeze the flow limitations chart by hover your cursor over the line dividing the charts then click and hold and move up and down to resize them. Thank you

The experts will be around shortly to help you if they can. 

Just something to think about is you’ve only been on cpap for a week. Sometimes it can take up to a few months to feel the full benefits. Hang in there. The key to successful therapy is patience. Lots of patience
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you are only on CPAP for a week, please ask if you can swap your machine for a ResMed AutoSet because it will treat your Flow Limits MUCH better than the PR will.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2019, 11:33 AM)bonjour Wrote: Set your min pressure to 6, many adults find 4 is too low.

Look at the organization link in my signature.  The left sidebar is very important (without the sidebar and calendar)

I will make that pressure setting adjustment. Thank you.

Trying again:

(12-17-2019, 11:38 AM)Osiris357 Wrote: Welcome to the forum

Please enable the left hand side panel without the pie chart. Also squeeze the flow limitations chart by hover your cursor over the line dividing the charts then click and hold and move up and down to resize them. Thank you

Thanks. Not sure which charts to feature more prominently. [It's probably spelled out somewhere and I overlooked it.] How'd I do?

(12-17-2019, 11:41 AM)bonjour Wrote: Since you are only on CPAP for a week, please ask if you can swap your machine for a ResMed AutoSet because it will treat your Flow Limits MUCH better than the PR will.

Ok, thank you, I will look into this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I missed that you have a Dreamstation. They do not have flow limitation charts. Looks good

Try and swap it out for a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet as Bonjour has suggested. It’s a much more responsive machine. It responds to flow limitations where the Dreamstation does not. And the Dreamstation is slower to respond when it does. That’s comes right from my respiratory therapist because I was interested in the Dreamstation because I liked the look of it and he talked me out of it. I’m glad he did.

He also wasn’t surprised when I said I didn’t like the Dreamwear full face either.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2019, 12:20 PM)Osiris357 Wrote: I missed that you have a Dreamstation. They do not have flow limitation charts. Looks good

Try and swap it out for a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet as Bonjour has suggested. It’s a much more responsive machine. It responds to flow limitations where the Dreamstation does not. And the Dreamstation is slower to respond when it does. That’s comes right from my respiratory therapist because I was interested in the Dreamstation because I liked the look of it and he talked me out of it. I’m glad he did.

He also wasn’t surprised when I said I didn’t like the Dreamwear full face either.

Thanks for reinforcing Bonjour's suggestion that I swap the Dreamstation out for ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset. Looks like that responsiveness comes at a price, as it should I guess. Gulp.

I assume I should get the for Her model.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s about $180 more so if you can swing it if you’re paying out of pocket you should. I haven’t seen one person be unhappy with switching over. 

That said I have seen the “for her” model for about $50 more than the dreamstation at Supplier #1
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2019, 12:55 PM)Osiris357 Wrote: It’s about $180 more so if you can swing it if you’re paying out of pocket you should. I haven’t seen one person be unhappy with switching over. 

That said I have seen the “for her” model for about $50 more than the dreamstation at xxx [removed by poster replying because, as a new poster, I don't have permission to post links yet].

It's close to $400 more than I paid through the supplier I bought the Dreamstation from.

I have no experience returning used equipment (in fact the idea of it gives me a little anxiety). Is that something that all/most suppliers do without hesitation?

If I want to swap, am I stuck with using the same supplier or could I just do a return and buy the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet from another DME?

Is there a cleaning, restocking charge on returns?
Post Reply Post Reply
The AutoSet, either one, should cost you the same because all CPAPs are the same billing code.

There is more than enough markup that other DME isn't going to loose much, and either way they will make a very healthy profit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 30 1,383 1 minute ago
Last Post: yrnkrn
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 11 180 6 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure? PaulaO2 16 3,252 Yesterday, 04:17 AM
Last Post: jiyun
  CPAP & Ear Problems Steptoe 11 1,517 Yesterday, 04:05 AM
Last Post: jiyun
  Can you regain CPAP coverage after failing compliance the first time? dharma2255 5 178 Yesterday, 12:25 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 92 04-18-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,476 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.