Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP - How am I doing / Should I adjust my settings?
Question 
New to CPAP - How am I doing / Should I adjust my settings?
Hey all!

So happy to have found this awesome community while researching my CPAP machine. I'm a new user, only had my machine about ~2 weeks, and I'm just now getting used to it. I've suffered from horrible sleep my whole life (34 years), and recently had a sleep study that confirmed Sleep Apena. I believe my AHI was 16 for the test.

Since having the machine, my AHI numbers look good, I figured I'd reach out and see if anyone has any feedback on my OSCAR data, to see if I can further adjust my setup.

I'd say it's going well so far, I'm adjusting to my mask and feel like I'm sleeping a bit better than I used to, and have more vivid dreams. But I'm still often tired / groggy in the morning, and I feel like looking at OSCAR shows a lot of events / flags. Shouldn't it be clearer or have less events?

Also when setting up my device, my technician was very brisk and barely explained anything to me, so I've had to learn a lot through Google and fear I'm missing out on additional knowledge. Sad 

I've uploaded the last 3 days worth of OSCAR data to my post, please let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions and thank you in advance! Smile

Also, settings I was able to get from my machine:

Machine: Phillips Respironics Dream Station Auto CPAP
Hose: Type 15 Hose
Mask: AirFit F30 - ResMed Mask

(To start the machine, I press the power button and it kicks on. I do not press the 'ramp' button.)

Mode: Auto.
OptiStart: Off.
EZ Start: Off.
Pressure Min: 5.
Pressure Max: 15.
Humidity: On, 3 out of 5.
SmartRamp: Off.
Ramp Start Time: 30min.
Ramp Start: 4.
Flex: AFlex.
Flex: 2.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP - How am I doing / Should I adjust my settings?
Hi Betl79. Welcome to Apnea Board.

You're off to a pretty good start - machine setup is pretty good and your Oscar charts are exactly as we like to see them.

If you've had poor sleep for a long time, your body is likely to feel some residual effects for a while until it gets used to CPAP and the improved breathing that comes with it. Some people get an instant wonderful joyful experience, but for most of us it's slow progress. You've started very well so far.

To reduce the amount of clutter on your charts, turn off the VS2 flags, which can dominate. In addition to apneas and hypopneas the charts are showing some RERAs (respiratory effort-related arousal). These are a flow limitation, not as severe as an hypopnea but still causing arousal. I'd be inclined to bump the minimum pressure up to around 7 to help treat the RERAs and reduce hypopneas. Also, increase the flex setting to maximum. While you're at it, you probably don't need the ramp at these pressures so turn it off, or try to wean yourself off it.

There is also some clustering of events, most clearly on the Saturday chart at 04:20. Often this clustering is caused by poor sleeping posture, and most commonly by tucking the chin to the chest, thus causing external pressure on the airway. If this persists you might like to try a soft cervical collar to support your chin. Alternatively a shaped pillow can provide additional neck support to keep your chin slightly elevated and your throat very slightly extended.

No doubt others will be along with some further comments, so I'll say keep up the good work!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Betl79,

Welcome to the Apnea Board. Looking pretty good for starting out. DeepBreathing's info is about the same from me. I would humbly stress keep at it. Many moons have likely passed from apnea damage to being treated with your DreamStation. It'll take a new window of time to reverse that damage. Be assured that it will happen. Best wishes for success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see anything much to worry about. For starting out you are doing well. Some would like to get that now, so you have taken to it well.
Just keep it up and see how you feel after a while, you should feel a lot better.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Mainly hypopnea, and all events arise out of minimum pressure. The Philips machine is a bit slow to increase pressure ahead of events and is heavily reliant on snores as a warning of impending apena or hypopnea. You don't have much in the way of snores (VS), so your machine is behind the ball. You can see the response to snores on your charts. You need a minimum pressure of at least 7.0, and I recommend you move it to there for starters. Otherwise, therapy looks good.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 230 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 261 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 937 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 476 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.