Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP and have questions about my diagnosis
RE: New to CPAP and have questions about my diagnosis
A few things I'm seeing that should be noted down.

A 20 minute Ramp at 6 may be an issue, restricting therapy at some point.

You had a spike of snore and flow limits just before you stopped the first session, along with a sometimes higher leak rate. I'm not sure which mask you had used, but quite a bit of the middle of session 1 was what I believe is a mouth leak pattern. Frequent leaks can be disruptive, and it's probably an area to work on getting better.

You're going to likely need a bit higher pressure to combat flow limits. The FL trace in chart 2 is right around .5 most of the second half of session 1. I'd say something, whether this FL and snore or the leak or a combo of these or something else, it is something requiring attention. You entered a place in therapy where it was uncomfortable enough to begin removing the mask. Then with more awareness, you did remove it and stopped therapy to feel better. My thoughts are, there's something needing addressed or you'll be too uncomfortable to complete a full night's therapy and will miss out on the health restoration this offers.

Time for you to do a review of your mask and the overall therapy plan. There's some aspect you're encountering that makes you choose stopping therapy rather than continue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We may be seeing positional apnea without the apnea. The sudden and significant increases in flow limitations are consistent with airway restriction from tucking the chin and similar issues. If you are using a tall pillow, reduce it. Consider reading the soft cervical collar wiki linked in my signature, and be sure to look at the link to positional apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2021, 01:16 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: A few things I'm seeing that should be noted down.

A 20 minute Ramp at 6 may be an issue, restricting therapy at some point.

You had a spike of snore and flow limits just before you stopped the first session, along with a sometimes higher leak rate. I'm not sure which mask you had used, but quite a bit of the middle of session 1 was what I believe is a mouth leak pattern. Frequent leaks can be disruptive, and it's probably an area to work on getting better.

You're going to likely need a bit higher pressure to combat flow limits. The FL trace in chart 2 is right around .5 most of the second half of session 1. I'd say something, whether this FL and snore or the leak or a combo of these or something else, it is something requiring attention. You entered a place in therapy where it was uncomfortable enough to begin removing the mask. Then with more awareness, you did remove it and stopped therapy to feel better. My thoughts are, there's something needing addressed or you'll be too uncomfortable to complete a full night's therapy and will miss out on the health restoration this offers.

Time for you to do a review of your mask and the overall therapy plan. There's some aspect your encounter that makes you choose stopping therapy rather than continue.

Thanks for your well thought out response. To answer a couple of your questions. I am using a Resmed FFM Airfit F20 with the soft silicon cushion seals. Originally My machine was set to APAP with a Max of 16 and Min of 6 Ramp has always been turned on. I am on 30 day trial and the clinician is adjusting the apparatus remotely (once so far). So until the trial period is over (insurance) I am pretty much stuck to phoning and giving my feed back in order to effect any change. The dizziness I was talking about may very well be due to a sinus thing I have at the moment. I have a 2 night oximeter  report that has been with them for over a week now and still no word on results. Reading this has reminded me to remind them to contact me.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Although I am pretty sure this is just periodic breathing and is associated with OSA rather than CA, I thought I would defer to the more knowledgeable members concerning this CSR flag because of my existing heart conditions. Thanks for your replies. 

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 182 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 720 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 248 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,430 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.