Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice
New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice
When I was diagnosed after my take home sleep test, they said my AHI was 9.3 with a heart rate that would spike to 110s and oxygen level dropping to 84%.Hi, I've been using my CPAP Resmed Airsense 11 autotune with nasal pillows (P10) for 3 days.  I'm totally lost in interpreting the data from OSCAR and am looking for help.  My sleep doctor (Kaiser) basically helped get the equipment and said there won't be any follow up or anything else unless I have questions.

Attaching 3 days of info, looking for guidance and advice.  Last night, I tried turning off EPR, not sure if that made a difference.  The first 2 nights EPR was set on default which looks to be on setting 3.  I did wake up each night to go to the restroom for a few minutes and when I did, I took off the mask, left machine on.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice
Welcome

I suggest that you turn ramp off altogether and change your starting pressure to 7.  Most adults are not comfortable with a pressure of 4. It's mostly used for small children.  Turn EPR back on full-time at 3.  It was not working at all with the pressure set at 4.  Those two changes should help both with therapy and comfort.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, I'll try that tonight and will respond with results.
Are there any concerns with the CA? Looking it up, seems scary.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are new to this it is probably treatment-emergent.  If so it will lessen or go away over time.  In any case, your CA numbers are not high enough to be worried about. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick update - I changed the settings, but forgot to move my SD card from the PC to the machine, so didn't get any data.  Will report back again tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the report from yesterday.
Woke up once to go to the restroom and I think I woke up a few times throughout the night - not sure if it was because of apnea or because I kept checking my alarm clock.

CA went up Sad

Post Reply Post Reply
I think Deborah is spot on with the minimum pressure of 7 and the explanation of machine emergent centrals events. It really is early days in your therapy. 

However what I would like to add is, was there any reference in your sleep report to indicate the existance of  significant central apneas, or at least some helpful summary text in the doctor's report that could point us in the right direction? 

Your other events seem well controlled with the minimum of 7, but you may want to start incrementally increasing this towards 8 or even 9, but not to fast. Perhaps over a week or so, with pauses of at least 2 days between each change, over a week or more. Let's see where it goes. 

Carefully look at your graphs as you do so for any unexpected changes that may arise. 

As a final thought, I noticed your last graph continued to show the continuing "splattering" pattern of centrals throughout the night. 

This must be causing considerable arousals and poor quality sleep.

To repost again when you think it is right.
Post Reply Post Reply
The test was a take home test.  There were no other details provided in my report and discussion with the doctor.  All they told me was my heart rate had spikes into the 110s and my oxygen level was dropping to around 84% with AHI of 9.3.  Other than that, just images/brochures about sleep apnea in general.

I'm an active sleeper, so sometimes I'll roll from left-middle-right.  I also went from M to L size for the nasal pillow - did that because when I would shift to my left or right side, it felt like the pillow would leak a little bit on size M.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the CAs are a lot higher.  Would you please post a redacted copy of your sleep study?  We might be able to see something that will help us understand the CAs better.  Then we can reassess your settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll ask them if they can send the detailed report.  Attached is what they actually gave me...

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 27 1,174 8 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  I have a brick CPAP, need advice on how to potentially exchange trillogic 10 273 04-25-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [CPAP] Intense Fatigue - Seeking Advice: CPAP Data Analysis PerplexedTom 7 251 04-24-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New to BiPAP Therapy: Seeking Guidance on Settings Kevinbipap 4 149 04-24-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Kevinbipap
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 122 04-23-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,102 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 2 179 04-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.