Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP, wondering how well it's going
RE: New to CPAP, wondering how well it's going
Oximeter came yesterday! Luckily, was able to switch off and sleep with it on. Took a bit to get the data imported, but thanks to the lovely folks on this forum, I have it sorted now. Pictures for reference. I have no clue if this is a decent SPO2 line or not or how normal it is since I slept far less than I normally do. I'll observe it for a few more nights.

I also got my new mask. It's a Dreamwear Nasal Cushion with an M size frame and S and M cushions. Unfortunately, I don't think this will work either. I vastly prefer the thickness and feel of the headgear over the P10 (I'm beginning to think it's not the tightness but the super thin straps that are digging into my tender areas and causing headaches), but if I turn my head, it leaks. Tried the S, tried the M, same deal. Doctor refuses to change it out until I actually try sleeping with it tonight, says some leak isn't a big deal (YES IT IS), so fine, I'm sleeping with it tonight. Might ask for the SM frame and see if it's a frame issue, but if it isn't, it's just the mask fitting me poorly the way the N20 mask did... beautiful headgear, doesn't fit my nose shape.

I also, unknown to my doctor, made an appointment at another clinic's CPAP shop for next Monday. It's the only one of its kind in Japan apparently and as long as you're a CPAP user, you can try and purchase a variety of machines, masks, and sleep goods there. I can't put up with my doctor only letting me try one stupid mask at a time, how dreadfully inefficient, so I'll go there and see if I can't find a mask style that genuinely fits. CPAP shop floor, meet me and my face in my desperation to find a mask that doesn't leak without either tightening the straps to the point of giving me a headache or only sleeping on my back (an impossible feat for me, just talk to my poor pillows).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
if you have a piece of fabric (cotton probably better than polyester) you can sacrifice, cut a wide band (18mm) shaped to fit between your mask cushion and your skin. tightly woven will hold up better and not be all stretchy. This will allow more, but gentler, leakage while cooling the skin, and tends to prevent the unplanned gross leakage (face farts). The planned leakage is way less disruptive and at a lower strap tightness.

I have also found that if my mask strap headgear has gotten old, the thing loses the elastic tendencies that are needed to stay tight through air pressure swings. This results in me tightening the strap to cover contingencies of auto-adjusted pressure swings.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this for the Dreamwear or P10? Great advice and something I might do if I really can't find anything else that'll work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Riayain.  Your SPO2 looks good using this PAP machine.  No dip below 90 it looks like.  Consistently runs around 95 or so most of the night with a few small downward spikes (could have been you trying to fall asleep or tossing and turning or waking, etc.).  You recover from the few downward spikes rather quickly - which is good.  Concern usually starts when downward spikes below 90 or so start occurring.  88 seems to be the magic number for insurance companies and supplemental oxygen.  Around 95 or 96 or more most of the night is what a normal person would test.  Your headaches would most likely not be coming from SPO2 drops according to this particular night's data.  It is just one night though.  

Your heart rate looks good to me also.  No huge spikes up or down and consistent during the night (means you are relaxing and getting good sleep is what it looks like to me personally).  You are doing a good job with your therapy so far.  Keep up the good work.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the analysis. I'll continue to monitor my SPO2, since as you said, one night's data probably isn't all that conclusive.

As for the Dreamwear Nasal Cushion, as I thought, it leaked at night. Interestingly, the times when it did leak, it produced large leaks, but otherwise it didn't leak at all. Again, not sure if this is a frame issue or perhaps even a skin issue? Maybe my skin is too smooth or curved in just the right way where the mask doesn't stay put when I turn to the side? Hm. Maybe switching to a regular feather pillow vs memory foam might help, too. My AHI also decreased significantly using this mask - an average of 3 over the past 2-3 days, since the pressure reduction, to a stunning 1.18. I have to see if this trend continues. Possibly skewed data since there were some large leaks though.

Will say that the mask is mighty comfortable though, even if I have to strap it on a bit tight. Didn't feel strap imprints on my scalp or the same type of headache like with the P10 when I woke up. I guess it's either thick and soft straps or no straps for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I use the DreamWear Nasal cushion mask and found that this works very well for me. Check out this headgear for the Dreamwear Mask. I have found that it makes the fit more snug without sliding as much as the original headgear that comes with the mask. The "arms" design allows the mask to sit lower on the back of your head closer to the top of the neck. It works for me. The original headgear gets stretched out too easily and seem to slide more. Maybe worth a try!!

Post Reply Post Reply
As Jay51 says, the O2 looks good! With a few more nights of monitoring, you should have the reassurance you need.

I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble finding the right mask -- and so much trouble getting the information you need in order to try settings that might work better for you. I admire your perseverance on both fronts.

With the Dreamware nasal cushion, how much time did you spend in large-leak territory? And did the leaks wake you up?
Post Reply Post Reply
With the Dreamwear nasal cushion, the large-leak territory was 1.95%. Today, it's zero. I don't wake up from the leaks... I'm not sure if this is because I'm a magnificent sleeper (something my doctor has mentioned and is endlessly surprised about) or just because the leaks aren't blowing in my eyes, but yeah. Problem is, I do have to have the straps a bit tight for that and I'm a bit worried that I'll get another headache or teeth pain. I won't really know if it's the headgear or something else causing me pain until I go a few nights with, say, the Bleep mask... which is arriving end of February if customs don't hold it up or even take it away. (Japan's customs for CPAP items is supposedly quite strict...)

Might try and loosen it a tiny bit today and see if that helps.

As for the "arms" headgear, I did see endless posts on that, but unfortunately I can't seem to find anyone selling it in Japan. Maybe the store I'm visiting on Monday will stock it? I kind of doubt my DME provider does, because they don't even have, say, the N30 covered. I'll keep an eye out.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you have just a short bit of time in large-leak territory, and when your leaks don't wake you up, you should basically just ignore them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Noted. I don't mind that except I currently have to have the straps a bit tight in order to achieve this and I think it's causing pain around my cheekbones this time. I managed to loosen the straps a bit and still get a decent seal last night with minimal large leaks, but my cheekbone still hurts a bit. I'm wondering if that elusive "rarely leaks, doesn't cause headaches or teeth pain" mask exists... Guess I'll find out either today at the CPAP shop or when the Bleep mask arrives.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 168 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 403 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Diagnosis] Unique situation, wondering if anyone could elaborate on my study kc90 6 543 12-27-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Silly question perhaps, but I'm wondering Windswell 2 579 09-16-2022, 03:08 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  wondering if I really still need my. CPAP machine Gil 11 1,614 07-21-2022, 01:24 PM
Last Post: ThinMountainAir
  Wondering What Is Going On cstone1999 12 1,451 02-16-2022, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Geer1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.