Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to This since January 31
New to This since January 31
[attachment=20237][attachment=20236][attachment=20235]

Trying to make this work!
I can't seem to get through a whole night without taking it off for a while or just laying awake until exhausted and fall asleep. Terrible problems with dry mouth. I have used tape, chinstrap and both with full mask.
AHIs are worse now than before.

What am I doing wrong?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to This since January 31
Just a hint on organizing your charts..

Check my sig for the links talking about reordering the graphs in OSCAR and removing the pie chart and calendar etc.
When you upload future charts we'll then be able to see all the important information including the statistics area and the machine settings area on the left.

Other comments will come soon from others.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, Bugbitten. Sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it. How long have you been using a machine?

You'll benefit from some expert advice (which I'm not qualified to give), but let me mention one thing that some people find helpful for dry mouth. Xylimelts are discs that stick to your gums or teeth and help your mouth to produce more saliva. They are slow-release, so they're often good for the whole night, users report. A few people have diarrhea using them, but I think that's pretty uncommon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try a soft cervical collar, it frequently does the same thing a chin strap is supposed to do and even can replace taping. Your UA and Hypopnea are clustered and it may even clear that up also. See my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops, your subject line says how long you’ve been at it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your replies.

Attached is last night file highlighting 2 minutes of a high apnea period.

I'm interested in the flow rate the the associated apneas.

During the 2 hour period that this comes from I am totally awake and to my best knowledge breathing normally.  Why do I have zero flow?

Thanks

edit: wrong pics posted, will redo
FIXED

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
A soft cervical collar would be my suggestion for controlling mouth leaks, as well. I started out using a chin strap and a nasal cushion mask which worked for a while. Leaks started increasing, however, and I ended up having to switch to a soft cervical collar and full face mask to get them under control. 

I use ACT lozenges for dry mouth. They have the same active ingredient as Xlimelts. They can be purchased at Walmart.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.