Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user problems
New user problems.
Hi guys.
Second question in short time used machine twice without humidifier(not supplied) nose so dry on anti-biotic cream for this should I try using machine for short periods to get used to it or will it cause me more problems as my upper teeth also hurt on and off since using like a sinus toothache but without the pain in cheeks etc,sorry for two questions but am so concerned about being able to use machine as have severe apnea and floppy eyelid syndrome(my eyes sting most days)
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user problems.
Sounds like you need to use the humidifier. Since yours didn't come with one, you can buy them very inexpensively on Amazon or Supplier #1 on the Supplier list.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed you have has a humidifier built in. They had to have a special panel so the machine would work without the humidifier not being used. 

Do you have the humidifier but just not filling it?  You can get one for 20$ on amazon.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Please keep your posts in the same thread.  It really does help us out.
Specifically which machine do you have?  It has a name on the front of the case, lower right side, post what it says there.

And get OSCAR this is so very important to understand your therapy.

Read the Mask Primer (see link in my signature), you are most likely having mask fit issues just like most other new users.  We are taught to tighten to reduce leaks, this is not the case with masks, too tight actually causes leaks and most likely is causing the discomfort you are feeling.  Forget the straps, just hold the mask on your face, under pressure, move it around a bit, trying both tighter and looser, and really tight (I bet that wasn't comfortable). now fix the straps to mimic how the mask felt with your hand.  Final step, redo while lying down in your sleeping position as lying down actually changes the shape of your face enough to matter, thank mother nature and gravity for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I have Resmed Airsense 10 auto,I’m just concerned I have done damage to my sinuses using it as well as drying my nose out,I now have humidifier but not sure if it is now safe to use for me but I have severe sleep apne.Sorry will keep questions to one thread from now.Just worried that I have done irreversible damage to my sinus passages etc and stressed.
Don’t know if anyone has ever caused damage to themselves with really cold air.
Maybe I should try it with humidifier to help ease pain who knows?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user problems
Kieran,
I have merged your two threads together as they are of the same topic.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you now have the humidifier, yes I'd use it. There is no way a CPAP can cause harm or damage. It can be uncomfortable at times while you get used to it, but this isn't powerful enough to damage. What can damage your health more is scaring yourself out of using your CPAP. Just as an example of the pressure, 10 cmH2O equals 0.142233 PSI.

I'd suggest setting the CPAP up with humidifier and water to the full mark, add the heated hose, and run both on mid level settings. Try the humidifier on 4 or 5 and the heated hose on about 80°F or 27°C. And certainly try it while relaxed and watching your TV, listening to the radio, or reading a book.

You have mentioned pain from your teeth. I have mentioned it before, but might this pain be from a very tight mask? Loosen the mask straps some and see if the pain diminishes. Or you'll need a mask that fits better and feels more comfortable.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would recommend using the climateline hose with a fleece cover, and set the humidity to auto, and hose temp to auto. For me it seems like I was chasing down the right temps all the time when not set to auto. And that was in an attempt to keep from getting a dry nose and mouth.

I still get a dry mouth if I can't keep my pie-hole closed. But that doesn't happen often and the dryness is understandable if I happen to be mouth-breathing.

I find myself pressing my tongue against the upper part of my mouth which keeps me from blowing open my mouth during the higher pressure part of my ASV's cycle. I think this is partly learned and partly natural. But I find that sometimes I press my tongue so hard against the roof of my mouth that is also puts pressure against the inner part of my teeth. And this has caused me some lasting pain (actually a very odd random and painful sensation) in my teeth. So much so, that I saw my dentist and got x-rays to make sure there wasn't an underlying abscess brewing somewhere. All was good there.

Also, is your mask the F30i? You tagged it as a ResMed i30 Hybrid in your profile. I don't think that's exactly correct. I use the Hybrid F30 (hose connector on the front of the mask), which I absolutely love, and there is an F30i (hose connector at the top of the head). for fit issues and teeth hurting, you might try the F30 or PR Amara View. That is, if you like the Hybrid style of mask.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,002 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,837 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,563 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 996 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 461 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.