Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

About to order a Dreamstation Go
RE: About to order a Dreamstation Go
Couple of questions for this group:

1. Have you had success in reducing hose noise by increasing hose diameter from 12mm to 15mm?  I just ordered a 15mm PR15 hose to see so myself.
  2. When I purchased my DSG 3-years ago, the humidifier was not available yet.  It was not really needed for short business trips where I try minimize the gear I'm carrying, but intrigued in picking it up to take on personal trips where I have more liberty with my luggage.  How well does the humidifier work for you without a heated hose?  Is rain-out an issue?

Less of a question and more of an observation, but I've noticed the DSG, and its primary accessories are listed at discount prices at multiple online vendors.  It's probably not unreasonable to say that an update is in the works since Philips Respironics listed the DSG as being impacted in their "Sleep and respiratory care update" @___www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/e/sleep/communications/src-update
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that increasing hose diameter will decrease the air velocity and resulting turbulence sound levels. This is based on my experience with the difference of a slimline hose (15 mm) and a full size hose (19 mm).   I can only imagine that this should hold true in your case as well, since the area increase (15 mm/12 mm) is 1.5625 time larger. Note: the actual rounded area is (177.0 / 113.1).
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Results are in.

I ordered a PR 15mm hose to experiment on my Dreamstation Go to see if it would be quieter than the 12mm hose.  I went back and forth a few times between 15mm and 12mm, dutifully changing the hose settings on the DSG each time as well.  To make my experiment just a tad-bit scientific I installed the NIOSH Sound Level Meter app on my phone to track the change in decibels.

The 15mm hose at most reduced noise by 1-2 decibels at a distance of about ~2 feet away from the mask.  The only thing I noticed with my own senses was:

1. A slight change in pitch or tone between the hoses
  2. The headache i earned from the strange chemical smell from the el cheapo standard hose from PR.  Thank goodness that neither the Dreamstation heated hose, nor the DSG's standard 12mm hose do not have that same god awful smell.
  3. My wallet is lighter by $6.76 which is the cost of the el cheapo hose.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degressive Order of Apnea? MaskedOne 6 349 01-26-2024, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is facility-based titration study necessary for physician to order ASV device? DevinJones 5 986 03-14-2023, 01:04 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,713 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,534 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  Resmed Airsense 11 auto on back order at Resmed? flsleeper 4 1,489 05-22-2022, 08:20 PM
Last Post: orca3219
  What does a sleep test need to contain in order to confirm/deny UARS? gaydolphinorgy 1 643 11-25-2021, 12:14 PM
Last Post: mper6794
Question My sleep results. Is ASV in order? ShallowBreather 7 883 08-25-2021, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.