Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user trying to figure out Dreamstation & OSCAR
RE: New user trying to figure out Dreamstation & OSCAR
(08-31-2019, 04:24 PM)sheepless Wrote: do you notice this breathing pattern if you try to sleep without the machine, like dozing for a nap?

Not at all.  In fact, after I took off the CPAP this morning, I slept for a couple hours!  Out like a light!
Post Reply Post Reply
it isn't determinitive, but that's an indication the ca is pressure induced. if so, it's a matter of getting used to pressure and the way to do that is low, slow and incremental. wear the mask and use the machine while reading or watching TV.
they say this kind of ca will dissipate in 30-90 days but you have to get to sleep first.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2019, 04:48 PM)sheepless Wrote: they say this kind of ca will dissipate in 30-90 days but you have to get to sleep first.

Yeah, I saw a post that said 30-90 days.  Ain't nobody got time for that, if you're not sleeping at all!

fingers crossed...
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you mentioned a concern with CPAP affecting respiratory drive by changing CO2, you might want to read the wiki article on Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space EERS http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ace_(EERS)

What Flex setting are you using?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2019, 09:27 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Since you mentioned a concern with CPAP affecting respiratory drive by changing CO2, you might want to read the wiki article on Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space EERS [...]

Thanks, that's interesting!  I'll check with my doc & equipment guy to see if they have anything like it.  Otherwise, I could contact the Massachusetts people.

(09-01-2019, 09:27 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What Flex setting are you using?

I've tried high & low...as I understand the DreamStation, it never goes below 4.5 in any case, so Flex is only active at >4.5.

At 4.5, it feels like I have to exert more effort to inhale than with no CPAP at all.  I guess it's restriction through the nasal mask.  It actually is positive pressure, because if I open my mouth the machine blows air through.  But it feels like breathing through congestion.

It feels about neutral at around 5.0 or 5.5, and at 6.0 and above, I get overinflated and it wakes me up.

I only managed 2 (separate) hours on the machine last night, both showing about 40AHI.  I waited until I was sleepy, put on the machine at 4.5-8.0, and ended up completely awake in an hour.  Then sat around until I was sleepy again, ventilated at 4.5-6.5, and was totally awake after another hour.  Third time, I just went to sleep and was out until morning.

Curiously, when I was going to sleep the third time, I felt extremely twitchy.  Arms, legs, torso all twitching & jerking every 5-10 seconds.  It hadn't been happening earlier while I was on the machine, and this was the first time I completely gave up on CPAP for a night when there was still enough time to sleep.  Not sure what it was, but it was gone when I woke up this morning.

Incidentally, I really appreciate you taking the time to help!  I'm getting skeptical that this will work for me (maybe I need to try a jaw fixture instead) but if an Internet Stranger isn't ready to give up yet, I gotta keep trying too!
Post Reply Post Reply
Finally, an all-around good night!  I can only tolerate pressure @ 5-6, but I mostly slept on my back, so my shoulders & back aren't sore this morning.

It still took a while to fall asleep, and my numbers are still high, but at least I have a tolerable and not terrible place to start incremental improvements from.

Thanks again, everybody!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 118 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Can Anyone Help me figure out what this is? jmperez1013 1 160 03-11-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 331 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 279 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  New CPAP user - OSCAR Data Bourgi 7 674 02-04-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Bourgi
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 322 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.