Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newb with Questions
Newb with Questions
    Hi all.  I've been at this less than two weeks and I have some questions. I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea (AHI = 20.9).  I was given the Dreamstation and a ResMed F30i mask.  Getting used to the mask hasn't been easy (didn't think it would) and I have had a couple of really lousy nights.  Last night was pretty good though.

There isn't much information available on the Dreammapper app and my follow up appointment isn't for two months.  So here is my main question...What factors play a role in reducing AHI, if that is the primary parameter used to measure improvement.  When I got the machine, I was told not to change anything until my follow up.  According to the app, my mask doesn't leak so there are no adjustments to be made regarding fit?Will AHI drop as I get more accustomed to it or use it longer each night?

Thankfully, I found you guys. And against the wishes of my machine supplier, I put my card data into Oscar.  Of course, I don't have a clue how to analyze all of this information. (Relatively speaking, the app has next to no information).  What should I know from this data so when I eventually have my follow up, I can participate in a discussion with my doctor.

Thanks for any feedback! My apologies if I have violated any group protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newb with Questions
Welcome to the forum. Your AHI will not improve without some changes. The biggest issue I see is the clustering of your events which is probably due to tucking your chin to your chest. The best fix for this is what worked for me and many others, a soft cervical collar. You can learn more about it at this link:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

You will also need an increase in pressure. The dreamstation is slower to respond to needs for increased pressure than Resmed machines and therefore requires a higher minimum pressure setting in most cases. Also a minimum pressure of 5 is very low and many feel starved for air at such a low pressure. I'm much more familiar with Resmed machines than the dreamstation so I will defer to others to recommend a pressure change. By all means, consider the collar, it should have a dramatic effect.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! Thanks so much for your comments. I will check out a collar and look into raising the pressure.

If I wear a collar, does that mean I no longer need to wear a full face mask? Is it possible that something less would also be effective?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wear a collar but still need a full face mask. For some, the collar prevents mouth breathing but not for me. A pillow tucked unddr the chin can be effective but can easly slip out of place. If you sleep on your back you may just need a thinner pillow. If you go to the link it mentions anti-snore wedges.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Understood! Thanks for helping!
Post Reply Post Reply
Understood! Thanks for helping!
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m on the same boat as Melman. I use a FFM and a collar. The collar seems to encourage breathing through my nose, but it doesn’t eliminate mouth breathing completely.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll try it tonight  once my doctor has increased the minimum pressure. Just putting on the ffm and collar, it was little claustrophobic. I'm still adjusting to wearing the mask...some nights better than others.  How much of an adjustment is adding the collar?
Post Reply Post Reply
The adjustment to a collar is going to vary a lot from one person to another, so you'll just need to see how it goes. Of course, you'll also want to see whether it busts up those clusters.

Another option is a "snore collar," e.g. a Dr. Dakota or Eliminator. Those have a firmer collar in the front and a strap across the back half.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I’m going to check out the Eliminator.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 155 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 230 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,594 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.