Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie, What does Air Sense Usage mean?
Newbie, What does Air Sense Usage mean?
I am a newbie to CPAPs.  I have been using my Airsense 10 Auto for about 2 weeks. I have a question about the Usage shown on the screen. I assumed this would be the time from when the unit is turned on for the night until it is turned off in the morning.

However, I find that it is sometimes off by a couple of hours. For example I would go to sleep at 11:00 PM and wake up at 7 AM. I would expect to see 8 hours of usage, but I see 5:47.
Is the CPAP calculating the amount of time I am actually sleeping? What is usage?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie, What does Air Sense Usage mean?
Welcom to the forum,

The first question is any breaks? Breaks don't count for time used.

Also suggest that you organize OSCAr charts per the Organize link in my signature and post your dailies.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, Bob, and congratulations on starting therapy for apnea! And to one of your questions, the machine does not have any way to detect whether you are asleep or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Usage is on time with someone/something breathing into the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
No. There are no breaks.  As soon as can get i Oscar set up, I will post some data.
Thanks for the help. I am glad I found this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, I am also a new user and have the same machine. This happened to me a couple of times. I think it has something to do with the time cycle. If you go to the MyAir app and look, I’ll bet you find that the extra time was added to yesterday’s sleep hours.  The hours are there, it’s just stored in different days.

I just keep my own sleep journal. It is easier and it is super helpful when I’m trying to troubleshoot! Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
what is the time on the CPAP, and what is your local time. Resmed always breaks the data at noon machine time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have this machine.  First, the clock must be set for your time zone.  
Know this.  

The machine starts its new day at 12:00 noon, so it does allow for sleeping in.

So, if you are sleeping and sleep until 2:00 p.m., those last two run into the next day.

Now, to twist into the wind a bit.  If you go to bed at 9:00 p.m. Thursday night the 6th  and sleep until 6:00 a.m. Friday the 7th , then this data will show-up as Thursday 6th's data.  It is the evening you go to bed the data records towards.

So just remember, the switch over for the day is at 12:00 noon and the clock must be set for your local time zone.
Post Reply Post Reply
To access the time menu:
Press and hold the dial and the Home button for three seconds. (sometimes 4 seconds)
The Home screen is displayed with an unlock icon in the top right corner of the screen.

To exit
Press and hold the dial and the home button for three seconds (sometimes 4 seconds).
 Select exit menu from the home screen.

Your machine will automatically exit this area after 20 minutes of inactivity.

If you set the date and time there is a possibility you may lose data.  This is usually as a result of setting the time backwards into the same time period the data was recorded.  To avoid this, make sure you are not going backwards in time into a previous therapy's recorded time.

For example,  if you wake at 7:00 am.  and you needed to turn your APAP/CPAP backwards an hour.  The ideal is to wait until past 12:00 noon for the new day.  Again, you must not go backwards in time into a previously recorded time.  For example, if you slept until 11:30 am, you can not go back in time to that time or earlier.  If the data time and the new clock time overlap, you will most likely lose your data. 

So, during a time change in our "fall back" time, just give a lot of time between the old time and the new time when making the change.

So does all this sound scary?  Then lets backup your SD Card first to protect your data.

On the left side of your ResMed AirSense10 AutoSense is a SD Card.  It is located just above the filter door. It opens stiffly.  Pushing on the SD card gently will allow it to release and come out.  If you are computer savvy at all and have an SD slot on your computer, create a CPAP directory on your computer's hard drive.  

Copy ALL the SD Card information to that new CPAP directory.  Doing this before doing a time change operation will protect you from the worst.  

If the worst happens and things get corrupted,  you can reformat the SD Card and copy the information from your new CPAP directory with your information.  I have done this before and it works.  My ResMed AutoSense 10 AutoSet SD Card has two directories and 3 files.  Five things to copy.

Just always just use the copy functions and NOT the cut and paste functions.  Why? Cutting may cause you to make a mistake that you regret because cutting removes data as it copies.  You want to preserve your copy of data in the  CPAP directory you created until everything is finished.

I also have a extra SD card that I use as a spare (heir and the spare).  I copy my data from the CPAP directory of my computer to my spare. 

I hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for you replies and your help.  I loaded an SD Card last night (my unit did not have one installed) and I downloaded last nights data to Oscar. I have attached the data

I went to bed last night about 11:30 Pm and woke up at 7 AM.  It said I got 4:47 of usage.  I only got up once around 6:30 to get a drink of water and went back to bed within 5 minutes.

My data chart looks really bad to me. There are huge gaps in the data. Some gaps look to be as long as 1 hour. Is there something wrong with my CPAP? 

P.S. Thanks for the information about time setting. I have not had a chance to try that yet, but I will check on it later.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 371 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,321 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.