Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie, What does Air Sense Usage mean?
RE: Newbie, What does Air Sense Usage mean?
Here is my update. I called the DME tech support.  He looked at my data and agreed it does not look correct. On Friday they suggested powering off the machine for 15 minutes (as some of you suggested) and then plug it back in. Get some reading and call on Monday.  

I looked at the data and it still shows gaps for each day. They want me to try a few more things.

Use Chin strap - I don't think mouth breathing is the issue. When the CPAP is at pressure, if I open my mouth it wakes me up instantly. But I will try it.

Smartstart ON - they want to to turn this on. They said maybe the machine is shutting down when it gets overpressure. Smartstart will turn it back on sooner.  I don't think this is the problem.  If you look at last nights data, the machine stopped recording between  12AM - 1:40 AM with fairly low pressure. But I will try it.

I told them if this does not fix the problem by tomorrow, I want the machine replaced.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I got a new machine. I still have the same issue. It must be caused by mouth breathing. I tried using a chin strap and it helped a little. There were fewer gaps.

I may have to try a mouth-nose mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the new machine! It's good to have that set of problems out of the way. Now about leaks. Your large leaks do look a lot like mouth leaks (a plateau-like appearance with a ragged top), so when you're sleeping deeply you probably sleep through them.

Before you switch masks, you might want to try taping your lips to keep them closed. If you can, try investing in one box of Somnifix strips. (They are pricey.) I mention them because for many people they really do the job, while being gentle on the skin. If they address the problem, then you can either keep using them, or start experimenting with layers of (much less expensive) micropore tape.

I use both a snore collar (to keep my chin where I want it) and Somnifix. Many nights I have no leaks at all, or just a few short little leaks from my mask shifting when I turn over. It's really nice not having mouth leaks to contend with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not a fan of incorporating more equipment/accessories into my CPAP usage. I went through everything you are now and one big area was mouth breathing. This works for most people and it worked great for me.

Tongue Suck Technique:

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

Give it a try and some time.

Coffee
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using my tongue to block the mouth breathing. I thought it was working. Evidently , when I was sleeping my tongue would move and I would be mouth breathing again.

The Good News is that I got a full mask and it worked. No gaps in the data. It showed I got 8 hours of sleep with an AHI of 1 last night.

I noticed a big difference in my sleep. I was used to being half awake every time I rolled over at night, then falling back asleep. I got so used to that pattern that it seemed normal to me. With the mask on, I fell asleep in a few minutes and next thing I knew it was morning 8 hrs later.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bob 2292, what a fantastic result!
Post Reply Post Reply
I confess I'm a little jealous. 8 hours without unmasking or waking with every rollover would be a bit of heaven.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 569 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,332 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.