Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie and using OSCAR - SUPER LOST and looking for advice
RE: Newbie and using OSCAR - SUPER LOST and looking for advice
I received my ResMed P10 nasal pillow and have worn it 3 nights and have seen marked improvement. I have kept it on all night each of the nights - unlike the N20 that I had to switch out to my Amara View in the middle of the night because I couldn't breathe so I got panicked and claustrophobic.

I've set a new record - I was .50 AHI last night!  Yesterday was decent at 1.97 and my first night I was .86.  It seems the nasal pillow was the way to go.

The odd thing night before last was that I had virtually no events and the BAM! I had a pretty decent sized cluster and then a light smattering of apneas after that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Another update for anyone following my CPAP saga: I think I’ve found a winner with the nasal pillows. I even tried using it last night without my chin strap - success! In fact, I had a fantastic AHI score this morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am glad nasal pillows worked out for you ! As well getting results !
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a P10 for 8 years!  Love it.  Recently I got a new head gear and head strap from my DME.  The head strap is re-engineered (adjustable) and pretty much eliminated my Leaks (only had  a few clusters a night before).  I had gotten a version of the new head strap at my sleep study last September, but this newest one is even better.  The head gear may have been revised, hard  to tell.

One thing I learned regarding the P10 is to make sure that you allow the pillow to cradle the P10 and the side of your nose when side sleeping, otherwise you'll have some leaks because the metal strut can be pushed up when you're side sleeping and cause leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply and feedback Bluesv6 and withtao!

I had yet another great night last night: 0.46

I was told by someone about the newly engineered strap, didn't realize that was a thing, the one I ordered has it and I couldn't imagine not being able to adjust the snugness. It's fantastic! The only thing I'm not loving about it is that it doesn't have a quick release. I found one that has quick release and may do a little Frankenstien project on it! I would keep my strap and my pillow but purchase the tube/frame assembly on Amazon. I miss the one-hand disconnect for middle of the night bathroom trips. I got spoiled by clipping in and out of my mask during the night.

I have abandoned my DME - I HATE them (Lincare). I used an online provider, who was SUPER helpful with a follow-up phone call. The only problem is there is no in-person experience, nor someone to walk me through all the how-to's. The P10 is SO VERY DIFFERENT than my other two masks - I tried snapping the pillow out when washing it but didn't want to break it so I just removed the head strap and washed the other two pieces b/c I didn't realize the pillow DOES snap out. So... next cleaning ought to go a WHOLE LOT easier! I feel like this trial and error process would not have been a thing had I had an in-person fitting at a DME (but I was saved the aggravation of being treated poorly or ignored and badgering to get an appointment or calling a million times to get through on the phone with an ACTUAL person - so 100% am cool with losing the in-person experience).
Post Reply Post Reply
I just remove the whole P10 head gear etc. and lay it on my pillow and then put it back on.  For awhile I'd disconnect the hose but wasn't worth the effort and minimizes damaging the hose connections.

My DME (Apria) only seemed interesting in getting me on auto-replenishment.  Guessing that's where they make their money.  Never received any help or advice from them.

BTW, you're number look great.

Congrats
Post Reply Post Reply
It's been quite a few months since I've been on the forums. I've been able to maintain pretty good numbers.  I actually failed to upload my data for the better part of a month, maybe two...  I've been super busy. I've had lots of <.50 nights - I've had a smattering of 1.5-2.0 nights throughout which perturbs me, but are FAR better than the 64.5 that started this journey and the average 11.0-12.0+ nights I had when I started with therapy.

I'm successfully sleeping with no mouth breathing and no chin strap while using my P10 pillows - AND - I found a little quick release that goes between my P10 and my ResMed hoses.  It's not ideal as I look much like a pachyderm as I'm scurrying to the bathroom in the middle of the night, but it's really nice to be able to disconnect with one hand and not having to tug strongly on the hoses to detach and reattach nor having to situate the headgear back on my head while trying not to wake up too much for fear that I'll exert myself so much I won't get back to sleep (oh the joys of growing older!)  Too-funny (Wow that was a REALLY long sentence)

I'm so thankful to those who have hopped on and offered advice and encouragement along the way. This has been quite the journey - I know I just started but it seems like I've been at this FOREVER as well!  These forums have been a lifeline and I could not imagine navigating sleep apnea without the help and support provided here. I LOVE this community - y'all ROCK!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 167 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 255 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,784 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.