Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie here, I have 2 questions hope you can help with
Newbie here, I have 2 questions hope you can help with
Hello!!  I have an Airfit N30i mask.  The frame I have is small and I think it may be too small.  I cannot find dimensions for the small or the standard to know how much more room it would provide.  Does anyone have a standard that could measure the length for me?

Second, I am finding out that the cpap is making me position my teeth differently at night and my upper teeth ache.  I do not grind and mask is not too tight.  Thanks in advance for your help!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie here, I have 2 questions hope you can help with
Here is a link that may help with the sizing issue:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

I didn’t think I was grinding my teeth (bruxism) until my visit to the dentist.  Oh-jeez

He explained that I was more than likely doing this in my sleep and showed me the results of the damage done to them.  I’ve since discovered I also do this while awake.

I had a special mouth guard made (not cheap).  The idea is to keep your teeth “slightly” apart.  I used it for a few months and this seemed to break my habit of grinding.  I’ve since stopped using the guard while sleeping, as I started to mouth breath.  I only use it while awake a couple hours before bed.

Habits are hard to break!

Welcome to Apnea Board!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!!  My dentist has told me I am not grinding, but I can tell my lower teeth are pushing against my upper teeth. Going to try a cheap bite and mold guard to see if it will help keep my teeth from moving.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another mask fitting guide you can use:
Commercial Link Removed, you can search on the healthsqyre site for mask fitting guide.

There is always the chance the mask you have is just not adjusted correctly.

I'm thinking if your mask is too small then that could be causing the teeth grinding issue. Not sure though. I would recommend making sure the mask fits right and is the right size first.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I had a more exact response for you.  When I started using a nasal mask, I had similar unexplained pain.  From vague memory, my periodontist said there is a nerve under the nose that can cause referral pain in this area.  What I do clearly recall  Big Grin is that went away after a few uncomfortable months.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank so much everyone for your help.  While it appears that it fits well, is comfortable, my average leakage is 16%, so the app is telling me a good seal and my RT tells me 16% is pretty good.  However, I am curious as to what exactly is going on.  It started after about 1 month after starting to wear my cpap.  I have woken up with my lower teeth actually extended beyond my front teeth, and that is quite bizarre for me! Oddly, my jaw does not hurt.
Post Reply Post Reply
I often find myself with lower jaw forward, lower teeth ahead of upper, mostly while sleeping with cpap but sometimes awake too. it's how a MAD retainer works; making more room to accommodate relaxed slouching tongue and palate to keep the airway open and make it easier to breathe. I used a MAD in the '90s so I became used to it. now I sometimes consciously (and unconsciously, apparently) move my lower jaw forward to breathe easier. that and (I'm guessing) as the cpap air pressure helps to open the airway it may also be pressuring us to move the jaw forward. I've also noticed my teeth have shifted and my dentist says I'm grinding my front teeth together. I attribute these problems to my nasal pillow mask too even if I can't explain how and why.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about that mask. I've never tried it.

I have found similar for my jaw & teeth. Depending on the mask I use, it causes my jaw to be at a different placement than it was pre-CPAP therapy. And my teeth have moved A LOT since beginning CPAP therapy. I guess I never slept with my tongue at the roof of my mouth before CPAP. So now my teeth (both bottom and top) have shifted. After about 1.5 years, I feel like my teeth stopped moving.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 134 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.