Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie here. [Need guidance with OSCAR and data]
Question 
Newbie here. [Need guidance with OSCAR and data]
Hi there.  I downloaded Oscar, inserted the Sandisk into my Mac, and got the results. I tried to read it.  

But I think I must have clicked on something incorrectly.  I have no idea what I did, but my Oscar events chart reports in five-second intervals, rendering it difficult to see any trends (too many 5 second intervals in a night.) How do I switch the results to, maybe 10 or 20-minute intervals? 

See the attached.  Let me know what you think.

Second, I don't really understand what it is telling me.  Is there a place on the Net where I can read about all the categories reported by Oscar - and what they mean?  What is the Flow Rate category telling me, what is Pressure category, etc.?

Thanks, peeps!

Zel

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie here. Did I do something wrong in Oscar?
G'day Zel. Welcome to Apnea Board.

You've got a highly zoomed-in image there. Two ways to fix it:

1) Right click anywhere on the graph and it will zoom out a bit. Click and repeat.

2) Right click on any graph title (eg on the word Pressure). You'll get a pop-up menu with one of the options being 100% zoom level. Click on that.

Generally it's better to see the whole page with the left sidebar showing - there's a LOT of information in there. But turn off the calendar and pie chart. See here for instructions: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

For a very detailed view on SleepyHead (the precursor to Oscar) including interpreting the data, go here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

We've starting transferring some of this information over to a general article on data interpretation here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rpretation
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
YAY!  Thanks, my friend!

Now it looks kind of like everyone else's, Right??

(Now I can try to figure it all out!)

Thanks for the help!

-Zel

PS - That is a lot of information!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
There are some leaks to deal with.  They aren’t bad, but should be addressed.  You may be mouth breathing or your nasal mask needs a slight adjustment.  

Other than that, I would turn off the ramp feature.  If you feel you absolutely need to use it, then shorten the time you have it set from 45 minutes to 20 minutes.  

Also, raise your minimum pressure to 7 or possibly 8cm with an EPR set to 3.  This small change should help tackle the few Obstructives and the EPR should help with the Flow Limitations, which drive the pressure up.

Note: your results are good, and hopefully some small changes will make it more comfortable.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose:

Thank you so much for your insights.

I dunno how to do the things you suggest, but I will figure it out.  I was not shown how to alter any controls. (Frankly, I did not know I am allowed to change them.)

My biggest problem is that I keep taking the bloody mask off in my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
zelduh,
Order the Clinicians Manual for your machine here:
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

This will show you how to access the provider menu and make any desired changes. I wouldn’t worry to much about “being allowed” as insurance only cares about compliance, not about pressure or comfort settings.

I’ve never had an issue with removing my mask, but it seems that others here have.

I’m going to move this thread to the main forum so you can receive more responses.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2019, 07:47 AM)OpalRose Wrote: "... I would turn off the ramp feature.  If you feel you absolutely need to use it, then shorten the time you have it set from 45 minutes to 20 minutes.  

Also, raise your minimum pressure to 7 or possibly 8cm with an EPR set to 3.  This small change should help tackle the few Obstructives and the EPR should help with the Flow Limitations, which drive the pressure up.
"

Hi again, Opal.  I am learning a great deal around here!  

I have a question about your comments above.  I have COPD and I've been struggling with unfortunate reactions to the COPD medications (Breo, etc.)  I wonder if you think it is safe for me to make the changes you recommend under these particular circumstances.  If no risks, I'm all in for making them!

Grin
Zel
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie here. [Need guidance with OSCAR and data]
You didn’t mention COPD prior, and I would not begin to advise on that or certainly not on medications you are taking for it.

My recommendations are small and meant for comfort and to advise you on the leak rate.

You best recourse is to consult with your doctor on risk factors before making changes in light of the COPD.
Has he talked to you about using a BiLevel?
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 255 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 103 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 63 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 400 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.