Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie looking for assistance
Newbie looking for assistance
Hi,
I am a newbie at this, so please forgive if I’m not in the right section, and ask too may questions.

I am a 75 year old male who has been using a Resmed Airsense 10 machine for close to two months, starting with the Autoset unit. After using it (trial) for a while, my respiratory therapist said I did not need the auto setting and that a fixed pressure unit would suffice. Since that time, a couple of weeks or so, I have been on the Elite version. For us in Canada, the Autoset is about $360.00 more than the Elite. Although I do not have insurance coverage for any part of this, I would be more than willing to pay the extra, if needed. A sleep study has been recommended, but no date has yet been set.

As to whether I am feeling any benefits, I should first mention that I have been dealing with polymyalgia for the past year, for which I have been taking Prednisone. I have been reducing the dose, (currently 3mg) and believe I see the end. For a long time, I was unable to do much work around the house, which is unusual for me, despite my age. However, I am now able to return to some of the renovations projects, etc, which were impossible a short time ago.
SO – is it because of sleep therapy benefits? Very possibly, but the picture is rather blurred by the polymyalgia.

I use the Oscar software, (which is brilliant) and review the info daily from the SD card, as well as that provided by ResMed.

The median AHI for the past 30 days is 8.41, average hours used 7.25 (data from ResMed).
The best AHI was 2,7, worst around 19.
An original test to determine whether I had a sleep apnea problem returned a reading of 42.

From the screen captures included, would you concur that the fixed unit is sufficient?
Also, do the pressure settings appear suitable?
Is it likely that an ASV unit will be reqd?

I would appreciate any assistance you can provide. I have learned a lot just by reading others’ comments.

Thank you.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie looking for assistance
screenshots are missing. try again? once you click on the file to attach, a second step is required to insert it into your post.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 396 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 442 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  [Treatment] Interpreting OSCAR data - any assistance would be incredibly appreciated :) SleepyVoyager 20 906 02-29-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.