Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie needs help with sinus weirdness..
Newbie needs help with sinus weirdness..
Hello Everyone,

Anybody else have a problem with one sinus closing while you're on your side? Just curious what that's all about, and the best way to handle it. I have no sinus issues that I'm aware of (besides this). I've had poor luck with nasal masks because of it. They usually end up on the floor after I rip them off sometime during the night. The H2O mist doesn't help with this, but the 12 hour over-the-counter stuff does. I already know I can't be using that all the time, plus it can make things worse. Appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks! And, Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie needs help with sinus weirdness..
Every night for about five minutes Im snorkeling thru one nostril. Then the humidity and pressure of the machine clears out the other and im running on both cylinders again LOL.

I use a FitLife mask as that was what it took to seal me when I started but I also have a nasal that after a while with the total face I can use with no problems when I try it if I improvise a chin strap.
I usually go back to the Fitlife in a day or so though. Its totally more comfortable, no pressure points and no chin straps and doo dads to mess with to make it work. For me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 09:59 PM)Olyhouse Wrote: Anybody else have a problem with one sinus closing while you're on your side?

Under normal conditions your sinus passageways are restricted, so it doesn't take much for them to close off. Blood pressure rises in that area when you get horizontal, and that's enough to close them off.

Rather than decongestant sprays I would try steroidal sprays, oral decongestants and antihistamines, and perhaps allergy injections. Talk to a good ENT surgeon about the possibility of endoscopic sinus surgery.

I would become a mouth-breather within a few minutes of lying down, but surgery fixed that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 09:59 PM)Olyhouse Wrote: Hello Everyone,

Anybody else have a problem with one sinus closing while you're on your side? Just curious what that's all about, and the best way to handle it.
Look up "nasal cycle". we all experience nasal blockage which tends alternate from side to side and most people are not aware of it but people like you and me can be a problem. My doctor gave me Nasonex but not sure if I want taking corticosteroids long term. I just use saline sinus rinse before bed and during the night if I've to. I've got Quattro Air full face mask on standby for those occasion. With full face mask, you can breathe through either your nose or your mouth. Edit

Post Reply Post Reply
Wait for Retired_Guy. He's our expert on all that's wierd.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a common thing that happens to folks even not using CPAP. We lay down and stuff shifts with gravity. We hose heads just notice it more because we are more attuned to that area of our bodily systems.

You can try a nasal rinse before bed. Or just wait it out. Or roll over.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Olyhouse,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a nasal rinse before bed time and see if that helps.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Olyhouse!

I had the same problem when first trying side sleeping, my sinus on the bottom side would always close off. The remedy for me was Nasacort, which is a corticosteroid that has been recently released from prescription only to over the counter sales. The relief I get lasts for the full 24 hours and according to my ENT doctor, I can use it every day without harm, unlike some of the other nasal sprays.

You are smart to avoid most nasal sprays like Afrin (Oxymetazoline HCl) and the likes. They can cause problems when used more than a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 09:59 PM)Olyhouse Wrote: Hello Everyone,

Anybody else have a problem with one sinus closing while you're on your side? Just curious what that's all about, and the best way to handle it. I have no sinus issues that I'm aware of (besides this). I've had poor luck with nasal masks because of it. They usually end up on the floor after I rip them off sometime during the night. The H2O mist doesn't help with this, but the 12 hour over-the-counter stuff does. I already know I can't be using that all the time, plus it can make things worse. Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Hi Olyhouse, I too had this problem. I could sleep ok on my left side, but my nostril would block shortly after turning onto my right. The only remedies I could find is what other members have posted here, but wait - there's more. After a long long wait I got to see an ENT. This doc declared that my turbinates were "huge" and a resection would likely fix the problem. Long story short, I had the surgery & now can breather freely all day and through either nostril when sleeping on either side. My favored side is still my left, bit I think that's a matter of habit. The surgery was not as bad as I feared, so I would advise consulting an ENT because it wont get any better otherwise. The (six) turbinates are there to warm and humidify the air as we breathe in, but only the lower (inferior) pair can be re sectioned. It makes a huge difference!

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found that daily use of a sinus rinse will usually alleviate this problem. Through trial and error, using the rinse (NeilMed) and the prescribed nasal inhalor, I've found that using the rinse in the morning, and the inhalor at night works the best. Whatever you do, do not use the inhalor immediately after using the rinse.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 219 11 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 134 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 271 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.