Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed REM related apnea
RE: Newly diagnosed REM related apnea
But if you see below those were in fact per hour. 0.7 ahi per hour and 4.4 RDI per hour. So is that really even mild OSA? I don’t know what is going on with my oxygen. They do report on both files that they sent me that my minimum was 85%. And my heart rate maximum said 114 but on the graph it showed 120. Either way seems a little high. But I can’t tell you what happened during those times because if you go back to the graph and try to match it to a respiratory event it says “excluded event”. So no idea what that means. Something off with the reading or data? I was hoping the sleep study would give me answers but I’ve never been more confused about what’s going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you help me understand the duration? The tech that explained my report on the phone said my events lasted from 1-9 seconds but never said anything was above 10. But again, I don’t know what I’m looking at exactly.
Post Reply Post Reply
For now forget Apnea, forget RDI.

Just O2 levels now.
Fact: 85%. O2 level is low

Is 85% for 5 seconds bad, in and of itself I say no.

Is 85% for 3.5 hours bad. Absolutely and extremely bad.

If you have the second number I'd very strongly suggest CPAP because CPAP will improve those numbers. I would also suggest a recording oximeter to validate that you don't continue to have significant desats.
Post Reply Post Reply
Copied from sleep Dr.

What is RDI?
Respiratory Disturbance Index.

This is your combined number of apneas, hypopneas, and RERAs per hour of sleep. Physicians who use this scale typically follow the same guidelines that are used for the apnea/hypopnea index (AHI).

Medicare defines RDI as the average number of apneas and hypopneas (so it’s really the same as AHI), they do not include RERAs.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go back to my graph and look at the black squiggly line that’s the o2 level. It’s very steady except for one point it dips down - that’s when it gets to 85%. If you trace your finger from that dip all the way to the bottom of the page where the time stamps are it could not have been more a few minutes since the time stamps are in 1/2 hour increments and that dip hardly stays on the graph.
Post Reply Post Reply
very strange use of terminology in that sleep report and it appears that you're reading it correctly. unless there are other factors involved, 0.7 and 4.4 aren't usually enough to call for cpap. O2 doesn't appear to be one of those other factors as it looks like you had just one desat spike lasting about 1 minute. has someone whose opinion you trust, like your regular doctor, seen this report and suggested cpap? do you have other health conditions that might increase your need? who gave you the prescription? it's good to have the prescription so you can try it out if you want to but if we're reading it right, the report results don't appear to support a conclusion that you have even marginally significant problems with apnea, uars, or O2. in the absence of any extenuating circumstances, I'd be surprised if insurance would cover cpap with these results.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response, this community has been very helpful and I agree with everything said. Lofta is the company that provided the in-home sleep study and they gave me the prescription for the cpap so I’m under the impression that it was just a money-making move and that I really would not benefit from a cpap at this point. I only got tested because of frequent gasping episodes lately but now I think that it was due to stress and anxiety. Sleep apnea does run in my family though, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I do develop problems later in life but right now I don’t see anything that points to needing a cpap. I have not shown my doctor these results yet but maybe I should. I also slept slightly elevated for some of the study, so I hope that did not affect the results too much.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 379 2 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 386 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 559 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 406 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.