Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed REM related apnea
Newly diagnosed REM related apnea
Hi everyone!

I got my Lofta home sleep test results back and they show REM related OSA and positional apnea when I’m supine. My lowest oxygen was recorded at 85% and my highest bpm for heart rate was 114. I had 28 pRDI and 5 pAHI. I also somewhat “cheated” the test because I had 5 or so gasping episodes in the first few hours of sleeping lying flat so I propped myself up with a couple pillows to try and get some rest and I think that may have made the results better than what they should have been. But the tech I talked to at Lofta said that’s not the case, it would’ve still shown up regardless. I just wanted to confirm that’s true? Either way I guess it doesn’t matter, I just wasn’t sure if these results were truly bad enough for CPAP? If the numbers were higher I’d have an easier time biting the bullet. I have attached my graph from the study if anyone can give me any more useful information. Thank you!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed REM related apnea
Welcome to Apnea Board,

I'm not sure I'm reading the report correctly. It appears you'll be on the low end of Apnea if I'm correct. If you are diagnosed and scripted to get a PAP do yourself the favor of requesting ResMed's AirSense 10 AutoSet or AutoSet for her.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They did recommend the ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10 for her. I have a prescription. I guess my question was more along the lines of do I really truly need it? Or can I just elevate myself to relieve symptoms since that seems to work?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're scripted for one, I'd give it a go. The problem is for some, stacks of pillows may increase what we're calling positional Apnea. Picture the kinked garden hose trying to water the flowers.

Download our free report tool OSCAR. It will give you lots of useful therapy data.

And they were actually steering you to the right CPAP. I'm surprised actually.

Have you researched what mask you'll want? This is very important for comfort and effective seal. Look at the different types, there's pillows if you don't mouth breathe, and it's the one that leaks the least. Next is a nasal mask, then full face and hybrid. ResMed and Respironics make masks, but there's others like Fisher and Paykel, this last one is my choice currently.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may try it after all. I elevated myself around 2 am and I just noticed according to the time stamp my o2 levels hit 85% at around 5 AM. So I was elevated when it dropped, so I guess it’s not working as well as I thought. But still my apnea seems so mild to start on the cpap...

They recommended the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow. I told them I never breathe through my mouth during the day and so I assume I don’t at night either. But I also thought I NEVER snored but the graph shows snores of 70 decibels. So now I wonder if I do possibly switch to mouth breathing at night, and maybe shouldn’t attempt the nasal pillow?
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 pillows mask is still popular and works well. And it's a very small mask, not big and should be about as minimal as this type gets.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for all your help! So should I still try the nasal pillow even if I snore supposedly? I can say for certain what I do at night..I just know I never breathe through my mouth during the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, and yes I'd try the pillows mask at least one night. If for whatever reason, poor results or you didn't like it, discomfort, etc, then we'd go a different direction. However this P10 is one of the best masks of this type.

Reminder, get OSCAR and if your PAP didn't have an SD card in the top left rubber door, get one to use with OSCAR and the PAP. In case the SD is missing, regular SD or SDHC, 2-32 GB, any brand that WalMart, Staples, best buy, digital camera stores will have it.

See image for SD card location

[attachment=32354]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome. Smile

Your stats aren't stupendously bad, but there are people who notice a significant improvement using CPAP even with milder AHIs. It's definitely worth a try, anyway. I'd second what Dave said, definitely get OSCAR and (if necessary) an SD card for your machine, it'll make it so much easier to figure out what's going on than just using the ResMed MyAir software.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello and thanks for your help!

I’m new to this so I think I wasn’t clear enough in my original post. My RDI was 28 for my entire sleep, and about 5 per hour. My AHI was 5 for my entire sleep and about 0.7 per hour. 

Someone told me these numbers are very possibly a false positive. But I do have symptoms, mostly gasping when I’m flat on my back at night.

The official diagnosis is REM related apnea and positional apnea. I’m confused though because I read your RDI per hour has to be greater than 10 or your AHI per hour has to be greater than 5 to be diagnosed, even with mild. My numbers weren’t that high, so how did I get that diagnosis?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 20 289 8 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 51 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 557 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 406 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.