Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed - on a DreamStation - need review of data
RE: Newly diagnosed - on a DreamStation - need review of data
Bonjour- you are brilliant. This is going to sound funny, but I was just taking a shower and thinking about the timing of these events and wondering if there was any correlation to the type of mask I was using on those nights. I used the DreamWisp on Friday and the F30 on Sat to try them out. I didn't have a PB either of those nights. The PB's seem to appear when I'm using the DreamWear nasal pillows, but not when I'm using the Wisp/DreamWisp nasal mask or the F30 full face. 

When I look at a "normal" night (like the 4th), you can see the good pattern you refer to. I was using the F30 that night.

Yes, I do wake up with a dry mouth on a regular basis, but it's been worse the last 2 nights. Maybe mouth breathing is the issue and I need to stick with either a regular nasal mask or FFM. I don't seem to have PB's when I'm using them.
Post Reply Post Reply
So last night was a mixed bag. My AHI was up a little, but still just above 5 which isn't bad. If I take out the periods when I was falling asleep and awake in the AM with the mask on, my AHI is more like 3.9. The PB didn't appear, as suspected, as I was using the ResMed F30 mask. It looks like the DreamWear nasal pillows are a no go for me. With my tendency to mouth breathe at points during the night, I have PB's when I use them. 

The bigger issue is the F30. I want to like it, I really do. It's comfortable but I'm having a hard time with leaking. Both nights that I've used it, I had leaks all night and even worse, higher occurrences of OA's when I've used it. The median leak rate was about the same both night, around 9 (l/min), but it looks like I may have gotten it better toward the end of the night last night. I think I need to work with it and see if I can get the leak rate down to close to nothing without crushing my face in the process.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2019, 09:18 AM)matsarge Wrote: So last night was a mixed bag. My AHI was up a little, but still just above 5 which isn't bad. If I take out the periods when I was falling asleep and awake in the AM with the mask on, my AHI is more like 3.9. The PB didn't appear, as suspected, as I was using the ResMed F30 mask. It looks like the DreamWear nasal pillows are a no go for me. With my tendency to mouth breathe at points during the night, I have PB's when I use them. 

The bigger issue is the F30. I want to like it, I really do. It's comfortable but I'm having a hard time with leaking. Both nights that I've used it, I had leaks all night and even worse, higher occurrences of OA's when I've used it. The median leak rate was about the same both night, around 9 (l/min), but it looks like I may have gotten it better toward the end of the night last night. I think I need to work with it and see if I can get the leak rate down to close to nothing without crushing my face in the process.

The leak rate was only an issue arround 3:00 AM the rest of the time there was no issue with leaks unless they disturb your sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2019, 12:33 PM)jaswilliams Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 09:18 AM)matsarge Wrote: So last night was a mixed bag. My AHI was up a little, but still just above 5 which isn't bad. If I take out the periods when I was falling asleep and awake in the AM with the mask on, my AHI is more like 3.9. The PB didn't appear, as suspected, as I was using the ResMed F30 mask. It looks like the DreamWear nasal pillows are a no go for me. With my tendency to mouth breathe at points during the night, I have PB's when I use them. 

The leak rate was only an issue arround 3:00 AM the rest of the time there was no issue with leaks unless they disturb your sleep.

Thanks, that's good to know. I guess I will continue giving it a run. My concern was that when I use other masks, like the Wisp/DreamWisp or DreamWear, I have zero leaks. I know there's going to be some leaks with FFM, but wasn't sure about what's too high. The leak at 3:00 AM was when I disconnected the hose from the mask to use the bathroom, you see a "breathing not detected" for 3 mins at the same time. 

What is an excessive (l/min) for leaks? There were several periods between 9:30 pm and 3 AM when the leak rate was up around 30 (l/min). I got a better fit for the mask after 3 AM and it stayed around 5 (l/min) through the rest of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
On a Philips machine anything upto 70 l/m is fine as Philips include intentional and non intentional leaks in their figures
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2019, 04:45 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: On a Philips machine anything upto 70 l/m is fine as Philips include intentional and non intentional leaks in their figures

Excellent, thanks again for that information. The board has been a great resource to help get things figured out and more comfortable my overall treatment plan. Based on that info, I'd say the F30 has been a very good mask so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
So far, so good with the min pressure set to 8. I have the max set at 15, the pressure runs higher when I'm using a FFM. Here's extra insight to last night's numbers. 

Overall, they are great and I'll take a 2.99 AHI every night. Between 9:40 and 12:53, I was wearing the ResMed F30 FFM. As you can see, the pressure was running higher during that period (I was running between 10 and 13) and I woke up took it off. I had 10 events (6 -OA's) during those 3 hours for an 3.2 AHI. Not bad, but I could really feel that higher pressure.

I put on the DreamWisp mask for the rest of the night (from 1am to 7am). The leak rate dropped and the pressure dropped a bunch. I was cruising between 8 and 10 cmH2O for most of the night. During those 6 hours, I only had 17 events total and only 3 OA's for a 2.83 AHI. 

I have noticed a higher occurrence of OA's when I wear the F30, but the overall AHI is still good. It's a good mask and I'm glad I have it for the nights when I am sick or congested and can't breathe well out of my nose. I think the DreamWisp is going to be the mask of choice as an every night mask. It's comfortable and the medium size mask fits better than the S/M of the old Wisp did. 

I'm definitely going to run with the min. 8 and max at 15 for a while, that seems to be a good range for me and I'm having low AHI and not waking up a bunch throughout the night. When I do wake up, I'm able to fall back to sleep pretty fast.
Post Reply Post Reply
I must have got lucky with the 8, back on page one. It is working ok. I would also look at the average med and 95% over the next couple of weeks. If it mirrors this chart, I would raise the min pressure up to 9 and may try 10. I'd go 1-2cm below the average 95%
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2019, 06:02 PM)ajack Wrote: I must have got lucky with the 8, back on page one. It is working ok. I would also look at the average med and 95% over the next couple of weeks. If it mirrors this chart, I would raise the min pressure up to 9 and may try 10. I'd go 1-2cm below the average 95%

You nailed it on the 8 for now. It's cruising along great with the setting at 8 to 15. I had a second night in a row of AHI below 3. 

By the way, I got the large connector for the DreamWisp and bingo, it fits like a glove now. This mask is exactly what I've been looking for, and I get good numbers with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's been 4 nights at the pressure set to 8-15 and I've had 4 straight nights of AHI under 3. An average of 2.24 to be exact. Last night was the best night yet, at 1.49.

Thank you to everyone who helped with input and getting me pointed in the right direction. For anyone who's new to the site, this place is a great resource with people who want to help you feel better and get the best treatment you can. If I hadn't come here, I'd still be at the general 4-20 setting from my doctor and having AHI around 5 every night. Is an AHI of 4.5 ok, sure it is, by why be satisfied with that when you know it can be better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 165 Yesterday, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 103 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 696 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  Oscar review please SleepyJeff 1 165 04-04-2024, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 104 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 111 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 500 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.