Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed questions
Newly diagnosed questions
I have been newly diagnosed with OSA. I have not received my equipment yet but did well with nasal pillows at second night testing. This board is really terrific and I'm very happy to have found it. I've been doing some research and have a few questions.

I realize there may be limited choices for machine thru insurance but the Resmed 9 and 10 appear to be popular machines. Has the 10 replaced the 9?- the posts for the 10 appear to be more recent over all.

Will they both work with sleepyheads software?
Do they have their own software? I saw some mention of 10 having it's own software
Also how does one 'lock' the SD card for the Resmed 9 when using SH?-is there a link for this?
Do you have to lock the SD for the Resmed 10?

I am interested in purchasing my own sleep oximeter and am looking at the CSM-50F or 50FW as I think I would prefer the wrist model. This also seems popular but there are mixed views about whether it will work w SH software.

One poster said to get newer version of the 50f. How can I tell what the newer version is?
I also looked at the csm 50EW which is not a wrist monitor but you can buy the sensor/probe for continuous monitoring. Does anyone use that set up?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed questions
[quote='Mischief' pid='96654' dateline='1421004181']
I realize there may be limited choices for machine thru insurance but the Resmed 9 and 10 appear to be popular machines. Has the 10 replaced the 9?- the posts for the 10 appear to be more recent over all.

As far as I know, the S9 is still on the market and they now have a newer model. You shouldn't have limitation choices because of insurance but you may if you get a dishonest DME who will try and give you the machine that does the least to maximize their profits. You see, they get paid the same for all CPAP machines whether they are the elite, auto, brick, etc. as it is determined by the billing code (VPAP is a different code and they get a little more for that but they won't hesitate to give a customer a brick if they can get away with it (a brick does not record any data other than usage for compliance purposes) so be very, very careful about what machine you accept. I actually sat at the DME and called the manufacturer and gave them the model/serial number of the machine and asked who the first owner was and asked for them to confirm when it was put into the marketplace and what the exact machine type was.....that is because I was at crapria and they told me I was getting an escape and I lost all trust in them at that moment (there were other things they did in my very first appointment with them to cause that mistrust).

Will they both work with sleepyheads software?

YES I believe so

Do they have their own software? I saw some mention of 10 having it's own software

Resmed has rescan and I am not familiar with PR but I think they do too but I don't know the details about it so someone that uses PR will come along and advise on this

Also how does one 'lock' the SD card for the Resmed 9 when using SH?-is there a link for this?
Do you have to lock the SD for the Resmed 10?

I LOCK my SD card any time I am putting it into my laptop. On the card, there is a slide that you move to lock and unlock on the card. You need to remember to unlock it before you put it back into your machine. If you are watching the display, if you put it back in the locked position, it will tell you.

I am interested in purchasing my own sleep oximeter and am looking at the CSM-50F or 50FW as I think I would prefer the wrist model. This also seems popular but there are mixed views about whether it will work w SH software.

One poster said to get newer version of the 50f. How can I tell what the newer version is?
I also looked at the csm 50EW which is not a wrist monitor but you can buy the sensor/probe for continuous monitoring. Does anyone use that set up?

I DON'T have the knowledge to help with this question.

[quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Mischief!

1. SD Card
The SD card has a a little slide tab on the left side of the card. You slide the tab to the rear to write protect and slide it toward the front to write enable the card. Sleepyhead doesn't write anything to the card. If you use Windows8.1 is where the write protect really matters and you're using a ResMed CPAP.

2. Oximeter
The CMS50F & FW will work with the newest version of Sleepyhead, version 0.9.8.1-testing. The oximeter version number that is the most current is 3.7. The difference between the 2 models you refer to is the "W" model has bluetooth capability. Currently you are unable to use this feature to load your data into SH. Both use the USB cable to insert the data into SH. The only current use for the bluetooth option is to perform real time monitoring using the oximeter's accompanying software, SpO2 Assistant.

3. ResMed S9 and AS10
Both are current models but the S9 has matured while the AS10 is the new kid on the block. Both are excellent CPAPs. Just make sure you get one that has recording capability. . . thus the need for the SD card. The AS10 has a special model design for women that has a special pressure algorithm.

Good Luck and please post your new goodies in your profile when you get them.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mischief,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Here is a link to great information on which machines to buy and which ones to avoid: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Much success to you as you start CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
In any machine you get, the auto-titrating model will give the best treatment, most flexibility and data recording capability. So the Resmed S9 Autoset, AirSense 10 Autoset, and Philips Respironics PR System One 60 series Auto are what you want.

Suit yourself for an oximeter, I've never used one. If you experienced severe or don't get effective CPAP therapy it might be justified. It's unlikely to be covered by insurance, and is not considered a therapeutic device.

If you tolerate nasal pillows, the Resmed Airfit P10 is the bomb. Very quiet, no cold, noisy exhaust stream and lightweight.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
WOW! Thank you all very much. I really appreciate the responses. Was not aware that not all machines have recording capacity. Especially would not have occurred to me that the same model might have different features. To follow up with couple more questions:

What recording features are most desirable? Apnea episodes and duration, desats and duration, what else?

re: the mention of 'Bricked machines'--does that refer to specific models to avoid, or is it possible to 'brick' one of the recommended models. If I select the (for example), the S9 autoset machine--is it possible I would get one that doesn't record anything other than compliance?

I am downloading the sleepy head software and getting the sleep oximeter. again really appreciate this board (and made a donation to support it!) Thanks
thank you also for the review of cpap machines, very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mischief,
A "brick" refers to any machine that doesn't have recording capability. Please refer to the machine models in the link that Trish6Hundred listed. The S9 escape is the one to avoid, not the Autoset. The Autoset is the "bomb!". . . I'm partial to this model but everyone on this site favors the machine they use. I would suggest printing out the machine list from the above link and taking it with you. Your mind will quickly fog over from all the activity that surrounds your initial equipment acquisition. You might wish to peruse several of the suppliers in the following link for mask and accessories that may interest you too.

Supplier List:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 376 8 hours ago
Last Post: Matsu1
  EPR questions juniper 5 197 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 178 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 718 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 152 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 249 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 115 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.