Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Aussie members - the official word on prescriptions and public health support.
RE: Aussie members - the official word on prescriptions and public health support.
(10-20-2020, 06:48 AM)Snooks Wrote: Thanks for the info Holden4th.

I picked up a rental to try today until my machine comes next week and I asked the lady in there and she claimed that yes, you needed a prescription. I didn't delve further or push her because there was people around, but she was very ardarmant that it was essential.

Cheers Smile

This exactly matches my experience with doing an initial rent to see how a machine and mask would work for me. My sleep study recommended a fixed pressure of 13. The rental company gave me an F&P Icon set to that pressure even though it was an APAP machine. After using it for a while I discovered this forum and started to make some changes including using the APAP function.

Eventually, I decided to rent a Resmed S9 and when I asked to change the prescription argument came out again. The sleep study rec was for fixed pressure and the rental company felt they were legally obliged to stick to it. If they changed pressures/machine types and something went wrong then legal issues could arise for them which I fully understand. What they didn't understand was that I could change the settings myself and there was nothing they could do about it.

So I went to my GP, explained exactly what I needed and then fronted up to the rental company with a prescription written out by him for an S9. I got my S9 for a trial and from that point I never looked back.

What I am saying is that the prescription is needed for them to make settings that will cover their arse if things go wrong for you

Purchase is a different story. If they send you a machine with the basic default settings then they've covered themselves legally under the TGA act.  Ask your GP for a script for the machine you want to trial - they can't refuse.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 90 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,338 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 206 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Mod Note] Attention Advisory Members - Vote Now Sleeprider 1 287 02-27-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 412 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Admin Note] Members-Only FILES SuperSleeper 13 403 02-16-2024, 06:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.