Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] ELON MUSK TAKES CRAP FOR DELIVERING BI-PAPS
Angry 
ELON MUSK TAKES CRAP FOR DELIVERING BI-PAPS
It appears Musk pulls a PR stunt whenever he is close to running out of money and will be tapping the markets for more. 

Quote:Elon Musk's Coronavirus Ventilators Never Delivered In CA: Report -- The ventilators promised by Tesla founder Elon Musk for coronavirus patients haven't been delivered to California hospitals, officials say.

Tesla founder Elon Musk never delivered the ventilators he had promised to donate to California hospitals, the California governor's office told the Sacramento Bee in a new report out this week. The devices Musk did purchase are not suited to help coronavirus patients. Health officials have warned against this type of ventilator, saying it's not the correct device to treat COVID-19 patients and could further spread the coronavirus, the Bee reports.
Gov. Gavin Newsom had announced in March that Musk had donated more than 1,000 ventilators to help coronavirus patients and said the devices had arrived in Los Angeles. Musk had also tweeted that he had "FDA-approved ventilators" and they could be more available nationwide.
Don't miss updates about coronavirus precautions as they are announced. Sign up for Patch news alerts and newsletters.

Instead, Musk had provided BiPAP machines, according to reports, which are used to help treat sleep apnea patients. On Feb. 23 the American Society of Anesthesiologists had issued a guidance warning that CPAP and BPAP machines "may increase the risk of infectious transmission," the Financial Times reports.

Musk had also donated 40 of his ventilators to hospitals in New York, however, they were not the correct kind, health officials said.

Musk has responded to the criticism, calling it an attack from troll bot accounts.

Angry https://patch.com/california/across-ca/e...-ca-report
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ELON MUSK TAKES CRAP FOR DELIVERING BI-PAPS
I think it's actually commendable Musk donated the units. Once he donates these, I'd consider the delivery to be out of his hands. Just goes to show that one who's in the spotlight get critiqued with all they do, be it justly or unjust.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ELON MUSK TAKES CRAP FOR DELIVERING BI-PAPS
Musk does have a history of donating (or offering to donate) items that are not fit for purpose purely for the free publicity.
Anyone remember "submarinegate" and the Thai soccer team? He eventually went to court over that calamity.

The specification for those ventilators has been in the public for some time now, I've seen it myself, and they are clearly not just BiLevels.
Musk either knew the spec and was negligent, or didn't check the spec and therefore is a negligent idiot.

I'm not a big fan of multi, multi-billionaires donating relatively small sums of money at times like these. A few million dollars to Bezos, Musk etc. is roughly the same as me donating $5, which is absolutely nothing, insulting in fact. They also get free publicity/marketing from the donation which would otherwise cost them more than the money they're actually donating.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep is crap, doesn’t seem to be the machine, what to do? emmylouwho 36 3,074 07-25-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: emmylouwho
Gross Low AHI Still Feel Like Crap mrsub96 5 1,333 09-18-2022, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  10 months on CPAP. Low AHI. Still feel like crap planetf1 3 782 12-23-2021, 05:50 PM
  Low AHI. Still feel like crap planetf1 1 726 06-30-2021, 03:59 PM
Last Post: factor
  Please Help-I feel like crap hookedonstitch 21 1,854 04-13-2021, 10:56 AM
  Three weeks on CPAP. Low AHI. Still feel like crap planetf1 12 1,935 03-31-2021, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP supplies provider takes over 30 days to ship out a new mask MyronH 7 1,312 07-05-2019, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.