Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Weight-Loss Surgery Ineffective Against Obstructive Sleep Apnea
RE: Weight-Loss Surgery Ineffective Against Obstructive Sleep Apnea
(01-08-2013, 11:41 PM)renatae Wrote: Very interesting, and certainly not what I would have expected! Although I'm not a great proponent of bariatric surgery, I would have thought a greater weight loss, regardless of the method, would have resulted in greater improvement of OSA.

This is exactly what I thought. I wonder if the study wasn't done long enough. Most people who have weight loss surgery lose most of their excess weight in the first year and there are parts of the body that can't keep up. The skin for example usually hangs on people who have had the surgery. I wonder if the excess fat in the neck is one of those areas also. I don't know, just guessing here. Of course if the OSA was present before the person because obese, losing weight won't cure OSA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 0 19 1 hour ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 237 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 153 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.