Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Night 3, getting worse not better
Night 3, getting worse not better
I just had my 3rd night with CPAP and my AHI keeps going up.  I also see in OSCAR that there are a lot of central apneas, while there were only a few reported in my sleep study. I am tolerating the machine better than I did the first time I tried (around 7 years ago), but it doesn't seem to be working well. Am I doing something wrong? Here is a screenshot from Oscar:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Night 3, getting worse not better
Welcome- there are a lot of very good people here that can help 

Many people have centrals beginning when first starting pap therapy. It called emergent centrals and the good news is most will go away after you get use to the therapy. That takes as long as a couple months is some people so hang in there it will get better!

I would suggest some changes in your pressures. Let me explain a couple of things that you  be may or may not know. First is the max pressure. It is autoset so the max you put in should be a little more than the highest you normally go. Yours is set to low. I would start at 15 and see what your highest pressure you have on that setting and set it for 2 cm higher than that. 

Low pressure - you want it set high enough to get enough air so you don’t feel air starved. If you have your mask adjusted correctly, all of your oxygen is coming through the mask ONLY.  4 is the very lowest the machine can go and for MOST adults that is to low (this same machine is also used for children). So I would set the low pressure at 8.

Give those numbers a try tonight and post again tomorrow. 

Max 15
Min 8
Epr 3
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

As staceyburke said and after see your stats, The min pression have be set to the mediane pressure so yes 8 is a good point to start and max 15 yes why not, with an AutoPAP limit this setting is more a confort parameter.

In the same time you have to fix these leaks, maibe you could try a fullface mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you'd do better to start with a minimum pressure of 8.0 and maximum pressure of 14 or so. I don't know what people actually expect of a minimum pressure of 4.0. With your EPR the exhale pressure is still 5.0, which is probably too low. You seem to have positional apnea (chin-tucking), but I think we can wait and see what happens when you actually have realistic pressure settings. Take a look at the Positional Apnea wiki and you may recognize the clusters of apnea that are characteristic of this problem. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 10 380 04-07-2024, 03:04 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 381 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 721 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 395 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 2,100 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 356 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 972 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.