Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Night 8, it's already Love - Hate. So glad I found you guys!
RE: Night 8, it's already Love - Hate. So glad I found you guys!
Thanks for explaining that Fred.  So you think I might try to raise the pap pressure to 13?  12 even?  What about the length of the IPAP cycle, It feels like it is too short, sometimes, and cuts me off.  I say "sometimes", because usually, when I first start the machine, the breathing cycles feel like they are longer.  Am I imagining this?
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what I got out of that chart Fred. Thanks. SO now what, 13? This thing called SP5?
Post Reply Post Reply
First, I do not believe this is the correct machine for you.  I believe an ASV is what you should try.

Take the IPAP to 13 so your PS will be 6.  This is an experiment to see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi FE350,

Thanks for your comments and screenshots, it is extremely helpful!

Based on the attached screenshots (AHI 24.95)
- Your median Respiratory rate is 13.60. You are also mentionning your machine is saying it is 12 resp/minute. So let's keep 12 as your respiratory rate. When using ST mode, Resmed recommends to set the Backup rate to 2-4 below the normal respiratory rate. You said your backup rate was set to 6, this is way too low, meaning your machine will only trigger 6 breaths per minute if you don't breathe by yourself. What we need to do, is to increase the backup rate to 10. This will have a very positive effect on your mask pressure moving from EPAP to IPAP (to trigger an inhalation) more frequently. By doing so, you are likely to breathe within a frequency below 10s, which is what we are looking for! 

Conclusion: Tonight, please do the following:
- Set your backup rate to 10, this may lower the occurence of apneas because each breath will be closer from one another
- Set your trigger settings to "high" instead of "medium"
- Keep your EPAP to 7 and set your IPAP to 12. This will give you a pressure support of 5, likely to lower your hypopneas

Don't worry, these are very minor changes, and be reassured you will not die, I would even say the opposite!

Thibault
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Thibault.  I can't thank you enough.  Wish me luck@!
Post Reply Post Reply
No worries, keep us posted tomorrow!
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Conclusion: Tonight, please do the following:
- Set your backup rate to 10, this may lower the occurence of apneas because each breath will be closer from one another
- Set your trigger settings to "high" instead of "medium"
- Keep your EPAP to 7 and set your IPAP to 12. This will give you a pressure support of 5, likely to lower your hypopneas

Don't worry, these are very minor changes, and be reassured you will not die, I would even say the opposite!

Thibault

I agree with the suggested settings by Thibault, and I know how he derived them.  In addition, please post your current Ti min, Ti Max and rise time if available.  Your description of inhale being cutoff makes me think you need a longer Ti Max.

You need to be on ASV because you have central apnea, not restrictive lung disease or hypoventilation which is what the ST is intended to treat.  I am going to link the Resmed Titration Protocol, and I want you to read and understand what the intended therapeutic uses of the VPAP ST and ASV are.  This resource also describes the setting changes recommended for different types of events.  You should share this with your doctor so he can understand that his choice of therapy is either wrong or not optimal.  I suggest that you should probably be under the care of someone that actially understands central and complex apnea,and the use of ASV therapy.  https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf 

Note the chart on page 5.  
ASV Targets the patient’s minute ventilation, continually learning the patient’s breathing pattern and instantly responding to any changes.  It treats Central or mixed apneas, complex sleep apnea, Periodic Breathing (PB) 

ST Augments any breaths initiated by the patient, but also supplies additional breaths if the breath rate falls below the clinician’s set “backup” respiratory rate.  It treats COPD, NMD, OHS and other respiratory conditions.

This is described in detail pn pages 28 and 38.  You will quickly see, the machine you were given is the wrong one for your condition.  I need you to assume the role of student, so you can learn enough to train your doctor.  The alternative is to get a doctor with existing knowledge in this field.  Please do not continue to try and make a hammer do the job of a screwdriver, you are using the wrong tool!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Thibault and Gang!

Are you ready for this???!!  I made the changes you suggested and look at my results!  I'm over the moon about it!  I woke up in the night, with a bit of asthma.  Stopped the machine to get a puff and relax a bit, then restarted the machine.  In my last 3 hours of sleep I had only one CA an hour and 2 hypopnea, for a total of 3 events an hour!  Party, at my place!!  Haha!  Thanks all!

Note: I adjusted the sensitivity to high, changed the IPAP to 12, changed the backup rate to 10, all as you had suggested, but quickly dropped the backup rate to 9, then 7, as I felt I was just being forced to breath too quickly.  After the asthma rest, I dropped the IPAP to 11.6.  It seemed like a lot less air was being forced at me, and I was more comfortable at that setting.  I'm thinking that tonight I may switch the IPAP a tad higher, to 11.8, and the backup rate to 8.  Maybe a faster respiratory rate will help me to get into and keep some rhythm?  Your thoughts??

Thanks Thanks Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll add that I am 150% behind the direction that Sleeprider is taking you.  Please follow his direction.  FWIW working with timing was the next thing I was going to look at.  BUT you NEED an ASV.  Everything else is trying to maximize the use of the wrong tool, and make the round peg fit the square hole.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just seeing this, thank you Sleeprider, your guidance is greatly appreciated.  I'm on the road today, home tonight late.  I will print out that guideline and see if I can't learn from it.

Is there a resource of knowledgeable docs?  I'm in the greater Los Angeles area, surely there are a couple of great docs in the region??
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 169 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 291 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [CPAP] So far I hate CPAP mindyb01 5 439 01-24-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: rogerded1
  UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice kaelin 3 549 12-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 396 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Would love some feedback on OSCAR data kewlpewl 51 5,135 11-09-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: kewlpewl
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,401 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.