Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No diagnosis but 8.3 AHI on sleep report?
Question 
No diagnosis but 8.3 AHI on sleep report?
I recently did a sleep study and no diagnosis was made. I slept very poorly that night though (slept 2-3 hours). I asked for a copy of the report and don't understand why I was not diagnosed despite the following information on the sleep report:

Apnoea-Hypopnoea Index During sleep : 9.0 /h
During non-REM sleep : 9.4 /h
During REM sleep : 0.0 /hIn supine : 8.7/h,
in lateral : 10.5/h
Obstruct.Apnoea-Hypopnoea Index ( OAHI ) : 8.3
Central Apnoea-Hypopnoea Index ( CAHI ) : 0.6

Summary of the sleep study from the doctor:
The patient sleeps little during this study night. There is only towards the morning a short period of slow wave sleep and REM sleep. When he sleeps, there are no sleep-related breathing disturbances.There is no periodic leg movement.

So I don't understand why I have AHI values show of 8-9 and it was not mentioned at all by the doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No diagnosis but 8.3 AHI on sleep report?
Even though you didn't sleep long, there still should be a diagnosis on that study, including a recommendation for Cpap use or alternative.

If you have a copy of your sleep study, please post it here, redacted of any personal information.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2023, 06:46 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Even though you didn't sleep long, there still should be a diagnosis on that study, including a recommendation for Cpap use or alternative.

If you have a copy of your sleep study, please post it here, redacted of any personal information.

Hello, I sent you a PM with the report because I can't attach a PDF here or send any links. It would mean a lot if you could advise me !
Post Reply Post Reply
Maikele,
I've posted the link to your sleep report here for review:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u4-j...ue&sd=true

Basically, this says the same as you reported in your opening post. You really should touch base with your doctor and ask for an explanation or guidance. Ask if he recommends Cpap. It sounds like the apneas are being ignored due to being awake.
Ask how he would treat your insomnia.

I would push for Cpap use.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2023, 01:25 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Maikele,
I've posted the link to your sleep report here for review:

Basically, this says the same as you reported in your opening post.  You really should touch base with your doctor and ask for an explanation or guidance.  Ask if he recommends Cpap.  It sounds like the apneas are being ignored due to being awake.
Ask how he would treat your insomnia.  

I would push for Cpap use.

I managed to call him, he was dismissive of anything. He said my results are not possible  cause for any of my symptoms (general sleepiness, feeling unrested). Insomnia is not my problem at all honestly but I slept bad because of the environment. so I don't understand his judgement as it should qualify for mild apnea...
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I agree it's mild apnea.

I know that it's not always easy, but if it were myself, I would seek out another sleep doctor for a second opinion.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2023, 04:26 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Yes, I agree it's mild apnea.  

I know that it's not always easy, but if it were myself, I would seek out another sleep doctor for a second opinion.

I went to see my neurologist and asked her about this. She says I should not be treated because my oxygen levels don't drop. In contrary to what I read online, it seems like a good amount of people with similar results as mine. I would like to try out if treatment can be effective but it's not very clear to me what I will exactly need to have.

As of now I think I should definitely get an CPAP Airsense 10 or 11 autoset. But how do I go from there exactly? Is it ok to buy used or better to go for new?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also echo that most sleep apnea docs would say there is no protocol that lets them diagnose OSA or CSA if there are nearly no apneas that occurred while the patient was in a stage of sleep.  others are breathing disturbances that they would discount because it occurs during transitioning to sleep or from sleep.  The diagnosis is made: insomnia.

Quote:When he sleeps, there are no sleep-related breathing disturbances

That being said, you may ask your doctor to prescribe what your insurance won't cover, and convince them this off label use is your way of non-drug alternative treatment for sleep disturbances suggesting non-specific insomnia but may include undiagnosed mild sleep-apnea.

That above is my non-professional mumbo-jumbo, but maybe your doctor will agree to the premise and agree to note your progress.  You can trial one of those machines, or purchase one.  Rentals are generally available.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 182 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 721 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 251 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 171 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,430 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.