Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy DreamStation
RE: Noisy DreamStation
I discovered a solution. Apparently the Dreamstation is designed for use with the humidifier. If you have the humidifier attachment installed, the noise completely goes away and it is silent. Without the Humidifer in place, it is so noisy that it is difficult to sleep. Something changes with the airflow, and they obviously designed it for primarily to be used WITH the humidifier. I was hoping to use it without the humidifier most of the time, as it is compact and great for travel, but sadly, it is so noisy that won't be possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the humidifier.   The new one has been working perfectly until last night when my husband said he could hear the noise again.  I couldn't hear it so we'll see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. Things I found which helped reduced the noise- 1) change hose diameter setting to largest.  2) remove fine disposable filter. Only keep the top, washable filter in place. This helps a lot with the noise (20% noise reduction for me). 3) Use Humidifier (this had by far the greatest impact on noise reduction for me.  At least 50% quieter with the Humidifier in place/use). 4) check hose placement (above the head vs. down towards the chest. Sometimes the noise decreases in one position or another by ~10%.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hose diameter setting?  Can you explain?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2017, 12:14 PM)Controller9696 Wrote: Hose diameter setting?  Can you explain?

22 vs 15
Post Reply Post Reply
Might be hose "length" (?) setting. It's a setting on the USER settings of the machine that you can adjust, based on the size of the air hose. 15, or 20, or...? My brain went with diameter because my previous grey hose from my RESMED machine had a higher diameter/circumference than the new white one that ships with the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2017, 06:55 PM)Controller9696 Wrote: I called my place and they tried to tell me it was normal.  Went down there armed with printouts of all the comments on this board.  They gave me a new machine and it's fine.

Good for you!!!!  Congrats. 

I do hear the groaning sometimes, and I've asked my husband if he hears it and he does not. But he's a very deep sleeper, so he never hears anything.  So...??
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2017, 12:39 PM)MARKOAD Wrote: Might be hose "length" (?) setting. It's a setting on the USER settings of the machine that you can adjust, based on the size of the air hose. 15, or 20, or...? My brain went with diameter because my previous grey hose from my RESMED machine had a higher diameter/circumference than the new white one that ships with the machine.

Yes, diameter.  It should be marked on the end of the hose.  Mine is stamped "HT 15" on the end that connects to my mask.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2017, 03:31 PM)MARKOAD Wrote: Interesting. Things I found which helped reduced the noise- 1) change hose diameter setting to largest.  2) remove fine disposable filter. Only keep the top, washable filter in place. This helps a lot with the noise (20% noise reduction for me). 3) Use Humidifier (this had by far the greatest impact on noise reduction for me.  At least 50% quieter with the Humidifier in place/use). 4) check hose placement (above the head vs. down towards the chest. Sometimes the noise decreases in one position or another by ~10%.

You mean to use 15 diameter hose but change the diameter setting to 22. Is it right?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2017, 12:23 AM)tonylkc1668 Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 03:31 PM)MARKOAD Wrote: Interesting. Things I found which helped reduced the noise- 1) change hose diameter setting to largest.  2) remove fine disposable filter. Only keep the top, washable filter in place. This helps a lot with the noise (20% noise reduction for me). 3) Use Humidifier (this had by far the greatest impact on noise reduction for me.  At least 50% quieter with the Humidifier in place/use). 4) check hose placement (above the head vs. down towards the chest. Sometimes the noise decreases in one position or another by ~10%.

You mean to use 15 diameter hose but change the diameter setting to 22. Is it right?

From the manual "tube type":
"This setting allows you to select the correct size diameter tubing that you are using
with the device. You can choose either (22) for the Philips Respironics 22 mm tubing,
or (15) for the Philips Respironics 15 mm tubing. When using Heated Tubing, the
device will automatically change this setting to the appropriate tubing type (15H)."
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,388 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 389 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,419 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 2 16,675 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,710 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement 3rdMarDiv 17 6,446 11-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.