Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nostril Pinching - Full Face Mask
Nostril Pinching - Full Face Mask
hi folks - i have a auto bipap machine that auto titrates. I also have a Resmed F30I Full Face Mask. Last night I woke up at around 320 or so because I could not breathe through my nose. My nostrils were clamped shut and I couldnt open them. This happened twice that I can recall, and scared the heck out of me. I realize i could have breathed through my mouth, but in my sleep I couldnt control that function. I woke up, used Saline nasal spray thinking my nose was dry.
I talked to my DME and they think the pressures were too high. I called my doctor and Im waiting for a call back to discuss.
questions for the community:
  1. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Im thinking this is extremely dangerous. Am i over reacting?

3. Should I use a breathe strip to keep my nostrils open tonight?

4. Or should I stop my machine usage until I hear from my doctor.

1. Uncontrolled my AHI is 47.3
  5. I use OSCAR, but dont know how to use it enough to pinpoint what happened. im happy to post screenshots etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nostril Pinching - Full Face Mask
You live in a hot dry climate, it sounds like. At least list the state you live in.

You need humidification.

Res med AS10... isn't BiPAP. You have a RESmed AS10 listed for your equipment and is a plain CPAP. AS10 has a humidifier.......
Sounds like your pressure is too high.
Go ahead and post a screenshot OSCAR analysis.

You have a F30 face mask not an FT 30.....
Post Reply Post Reply
If you mainly breathe nasally you should consider using a nasal pillows mask like the Airfit P10 rather than the FFM. Pressure would not cause this but poor fit could. See the mask primer link in my signature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FFM, nasal pillow......he's congested. CPAP will do it. Me personally I used sudafed for a bit and now Ibeprophen to stay clear most of the night. My events are low even though my leak rate is high at times with a nasal P30i. WHat bugs me is the fixed setting doesn't work with my humidifier..... haven't figured it out yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
i havent logged in here in a bit, and just got a new machine a couple of days ago

sorry to spam i need one more post to post links.
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry im new here and trying to figure out how to post a link.  i attached three screenshots, the max that the site lets me right now.

here is a link h-ttps://imgur.com/a/wCv7diR with an added dash.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
looks good on your new machine
Post Reply Post Reply
i thought i uploaded them to imgur from the top down.  here is an attachment showing those three specific graphs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
How do feel now? Still dealing with congestion?
Post Reply Post Reply
i dont think it was congestion last night, i only used the saline to lubricate my nostrils since they were basically stuck together.  i agree the events have gone way down with the new machine unfortunately, i felt like i almost died last night becuase i stopped breathing, and then after i woke up and tried to take another breath, my nostrils were stuck together.  of course by then i had ripped off the mask, and started breathing through my mask.  im just concerned that i could die from this if it keeps occurring.  like what if i cant breathe because stuck nostrils and i dont actually wake myself up.

the reason i went FFM is because i originally had nasal pillows, and couldnt breathe with them because i kept breathing out of my mouth!

the other question i have is, can i use breathe strips to keep my nostrils open tonight, or will that interfere with the machine?  i dont think my doctor is gonna call me back today.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 169 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 136 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 323 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 661 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,044 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 757 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.