Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Notes to other new users - Mouth breathing, Congestion, FFM vs Nasal Mask
RE: Notes to other new users - Mouth breathing, Congestion, FFM vs Nasal Mask
(09-18-2014, 09:28 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: WOW! I guess I'm lucky it doesn't affect me that way. I am careful not to snort it very deeply since that could cause it to get into my system more by me swallowing some of it.

Thanks for the info. Sleep-well

Actually your mucus membranes will absorb more of a chemical then your stomach will.

That is why dopers snort drugs instead of ingesting them it goes to their system in greater strengths and acts much faster!
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor has prescribe Flonase each day for my nasal congestion, like over the counter Nasacort its most common side effect is a sore throat.

Was taking it in the mornings but have switched closer to bed time as to get better coverage during sleeping hours .. Mt sleep doctor says it can make a difference at what time during the day a drug is taken, especially if only taken 1 time daily. So have been taking it 2 hours before bed time now. I have noticed if I am congested it is later in the day and not early in the mornings as when I was taking it around 9 am before. So think during my sleeping hours I have less congestion then I did before. During the day I remain less congested I think due to being active in my daily activities.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2014, 10:25 PM)yaggy_bear Wrote: Im like you, I can only use a FFM because of congestion.

good machine you have there, i used the same one for a couple of weeks during my trial. Im also learning how to use SleepyHead.

Welcome to the board!

My nose is always stopped up and this time of the year, I have a lot of drainage and stopped up ears right now. I have been using the wisp since last December and I am doing good with it.....low leaks, low AHI, etc. I also thought I had to use a FFM and I had so much trouble with it and no help from the DME. I would like to encourage you to try either a nasal mask or nasal pillows; you might be surprised that you can use one of them successfully.

I fired that DME and went out of network and while they have problems too, I have to say they brought up a lot of masks in the package 2 weeks before my new sleep study and let me try several of them hooked up to a machine. Then they sent me home with the wisp and a chin strap just in case so I could be used to it before my sleep study.

Of course, we know that the new DME is not crapria.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2014, 09:20 PM)fuzzmanks Wrote:
(09-16-2014, 05:08 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: It matters not if your congestion is from allergies or for other reasons. Mine is a deviated septum and I was mighty happy when I found that Nasacort gave me 24 hour relief from that stuffed up nose feeling and allows me to breathe through my nose as I should. I've used it daily for months.

I liked Nasacort too, but after a week or less of using it each day I would get nose bleeds even if I gently blew my nose. For me it didn't matter if I was using it during the winter (less humidity) or in the summer. I also use a humidifier on my CPAP. I still got nose bleeds.

My allergist has me using Budesonide from a tiny vial mixed with my 8 oz. nasal rinse solution (but I only "snort" 1oz in each nostril) once a day. It works well, doesn't cause the dryness of the mucus membranes (that causes bleeding), but it is expensive.

not sure what caused your nose bleeds but AYR saline Nasal Gel has been great for me when my nose gets dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I'm not mistaken, one of the side effects of the steroidal sprays is that they "can," cause nose bleeds.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 10:19 PM)Evpraxia Wrote: My hubby has a deviated septum and found the nasal pillows helped tremendously in reducing his congestion. He had used a used a nose mask since 2003 but the RT thought the nasal pillows would do a better job.

Hi, everyone: I had nose surgery. Apparently I had a broken nose from early in life. The broken cartilage was slowly turning to bone, so I had the operation to chip it all out (under anesthesia of course) and the results have been spectacular. It's like a wind tunnel in there now.
Adding to that, I also had my uvula removed and some excess tissue which helps. My mask of choice is the nasal pillow. That coupled with the humidity on high keeps me clear of congestion remarkable well as I had congestion problems before using the nasal pillows. Isn't it remarkable not to have to struggle to sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,046 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 351 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 97 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 351,975 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.